random reboot after new card and ram

Discussion in 'Software' started by alex60, Jan 10, 2012.

1. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Hello guys just had a random pc reboot. Only just installed a hd 5670 ati card and another stick of ddr2 800 ram, same company (corsair ) only difference is new stick is 1.8v and old is 1.9v. i'm using xp and bios settings are all auto and no overclocking going on. Use driver sweeper to clean old nvidea drives so no conflictions. Looked in event viewer and found this little message

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck, the bug check was:

0x0000008e (oxc0000005, oxbd06b2do, 0xa8b0cd24,0x0000000)

I’m not sure what it means but it could memory related . hope you can help
    Cheers guys
    :)

2. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Hello again guys just installed bluescreen view and got this information

Caused by driver: ati2cqag.dll
    Caused by address: ati2cqag.dll+a2d0
    File description: central memory manager
    Product name : ati radion family
    File version: 6.14.10.0534

Looks like the new card drivers are to blame for this one.
    To be honest I didn’t use the supplied cd with the card but installed the latest driver from the ati website don’t know if that was correct thing to do though. What do you think is my next move guys? Should I uninstall the graphics drivers and then use the supplied cd

cheers

3. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

just to ad to that guys here is a bit more

Mini011012-01.dmp 10/01/2012 19:03:48 KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

4. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

well the next day after my original post i had 2 bsod. one was a usbport.sys problem and the other was a watchdog.sys problem.(after this bsod the bios automaticaly reverted back to default settings, had to reset everything,only qfan speeds by the way no overclocking) i'm pretty sure the watchdog.sys is a windows system file that monitors graphics card activity. so what i've done is uninstalled the ati drivers that i downloaded from the ati site and used the supplied drivers that came with the hd5670. not sure about the usbport.sys error, can i just download another updated usbport.sys file and replace the old one? pc's been running a few hours and no bsod as of yet so here's hoping.
    i've attached the minidump logs for the errors

Attached Files:

5. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

can't beleive this. eversince i put the new graphics card and ram in i'm having all kinds of bsod's just had another one this time it's an intel processor driver if anyone has got any ideas on how to fix this problem i'd be very grateful. i've attached the dump file. thanks guys

Attached Files:

6. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

been looking for the solution on the net and the general opinion seems to to disable the intelppm.sys file but this seems to be only if you have a amd processor. i have a intel q6600. would it be safe then to disable or delete this file anyway? although the new card is amd so could the card and the processor be conflicing and so cause this problem? i don't know any help would be great

7. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

It definitly seems like a conflict. I've been told it would be safe to delete the file,,"BUT" my gut feeling says that it just doesn't seem right. Maybe Sach2 is out there ,,or plodr, we sure could use your expertise!!!!

8. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

thanks for the reply nick T. just found this information on the eHow website, don't know how accurate it is but worth a look:
    The Intel Power Management Driver is a Windows operating system control program that manages your Intel processor-based computer's power consumption. When your computer is in an "idle" state, the driver can be set to shut off your computer's Intel processor, the hard drive and other attached hardware. The Intel Power Management Driver was automatically installed on your computer, regardless of what type of processor is in your computer, when Windows updated to Service Pack 3. This driver conflicts with AMD and other processor brands. To solve the hardware/software conflict, you have to disable the Intel Power Management Driver.

interesting stuff but still not sure whether to delete it with me having an intel processor. any more info would be great

9. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

just to add to my last message it's interesting to note that the information given says When your computer is in an "idle" state, this happened when i was watching youtube vids so pc wasn't idle

10. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

That's what I mean bt gut feeling. Let me know how it turns out. I will keep checking into it too. Good luck.

11. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Thanks Nick T
    Ok we’ll rename the info another way here goes. The intelppm.sys file is a windows control programme that manages the processors power consumption when the computer is in idle (doing nothing) when the computer(processor is doing nothing) the driver can be set to shut off the intel processor and other hardware. Now correct me if I’m wrong but if the processor turns off then most of the other hardware is useless anyway. Now here is the important bit. The information says that the driver was installed with sp3 on xp so I’m sure intel processors must have been running ok before sp3. Because the intelppm driver was to blame for the bsod while the pc was active I’m thinking that the driver has some how been corrupted maybe due to the installation of my amd card on my intel board. After all the info does suggest a confliction problem with amd. Anyway I’ve updated the bios on my p5k board which has an intel chipset by the way and done a check disk scan using recovery console via the installation disk that I have. The check disk said it found and repaired one or more disk errors, it didn’t say what they where. the pc has been running ok since so lets see what happens but I’m losing confidence in this amd card , should have stuck with nvidea, a lot less trouble. Just tonight I was watching a boxing match on the net and tried to adjust the video settings in ccc because there was too much colour but the control centre wouln’t respond, just had the loading message for half an hour and the apply command was greyed out never had this with nvidea

12. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

13. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

This is correct.

However, even if you were replacing an Intel motherboard with AMD, you would be getting 0x7E, NOT 0x8E.

0x8E can be video or RAM among other things. Since you replaced the video card and added RAM, you should test both of these parts.

For memory: memtest v4.20

For graphics card: 3DMark03

14. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

thanks nick but they were the drivers i had originaly downloaded instead of using the supplied cd that came with the card. i decided to uninstall them and install the drivers that came with the cd. i think in my earlier thread i said i downloaded them from ati i appologies if i gave the wrong info. appreciate you help though nick

15. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

thanks thisisu i'm doing a memtest at the moment (using my nephew's laptop to reply) i've dowloaded and run 3dmark03 as you suggested. to be honest i'm not really a gamer so i don't realy know what i'm looking for in the results as far as testing the graphics ram is concernd. the programme went through the tests and the cpu tests as well and it gave me an overall test result. see the attached file. by the way how many passes should i let memtest run for to test the new stick of ram? thanks again for you help

Attached Files:

16. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

clicked on the options tab in 3dmark03 and found these results details, not sure if they are any help though

Attached Files:

17. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Usually, errors appear almost immediately but one pass is a bare minimum. Overnight is what I usually do.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  18. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

even if there is one error after an overnight test would that be classed as faulty ram? should i therefore return the ram and get another stick?
    cheers

19. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Yup, even one error means it's bad and should be replaced.

20. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

well i did a good ten hour overnight memtest on the 2 gig stick and no errors!
    surely it must be graphics related then? looking at the first bsod it was Caused by driver: ati2cqag.dll which is a ati graphics driver, then next i had that watchdog.sys error which i'm certain is a windows file that monitors graphics card activity. i have the benq ew 2430 monitor which has a 4 port usb hub built in i wonder if the usbport.sys error had something to do with the usb ports on the monitor not comunicating properly with the usb port on the pc, worth thinking about. as for the intelppm.sys file well i know there can be conflicts with amd componants and since i installed a amd card that could be an issue. what i've done so far to try to rectify the problems are uninstalled the latest drivers that i downloaded from amd site and used the supplied cd (i know most people recommend not using the cd that came with the card and installing the latest ones but when i did that i blue screened. i've flashed the bios to the latest file (i have an asus p5k. i know it's 4 years old but it's still going strong) i've done a check disk using recovery console, it found and repaired one or more problems but didn't say which ones and i've done a memtest on the ram. i can't think of anything else i can do really. although i haven't had absod for a while so i hope the things i've done have settled things down. only time will tell. cheers

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  21. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

well after all the problems i've been having with this garbage amd card i've now started getting picture breakup in full screen on youtube. i reckon it's faulty memory on the card that's why i've been getting problems. even updated drivers to latest, used driver sweeper, uninstalled the drivers that came with the disk. no good. looks like i'm gonna have to return this card and i doubt if i'll get another amd, back to nvidea for me guys, a lot less trouble. thanks for all your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds