random restart XP home

Discussion in 'Software' started by broke-down carpenter, Sep 5, 2005.

1. broke-down carpenter

broke-down carpenter Private E-2

froze.I replaced the dvd and the vid card while i was in there. When I re-booted it started to restart over and over. After re-installing the orig vid card and it did the same thing resart after restart. Eventually I managed to get it stabilized and have since run the Seatools utility , sfc/scanonce, re installed anti-virus (AVAST), re-installed windows dll's as per scanonce and defragged a unusually fragmented hdd 4times in 48 hrs , but still out of no-where it will suddenly restart but thankfuly not go into a restart cycle it seems to happen when the cpu runs under a load for any length of time
    Thanks for your time BDC

2. broke-down carpenter

3. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

Don't know about the first problem but the random restarts after load seems to be a overheating problem/ Try installing Motherboard monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    and see what temp your CPU is underload. If a cpu gets too hot the system will throttle and restart to prevent damage.

4. broke-down carpenter

Thanks,
    got it bookmarked,"Seatools" logged problems with file sys and metedata should I run sfc/scannow with any spec. parameters, prior to replacing PS or mobo,incase its a software problem.
    BDC

5. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

To get a better idea of what is causing your computer to restart, you can turn this feature off. This will cause Windows to stay at the BSOD screen that will give you some type of an error message that will help determine or point you in the right direction. When you get this message just post back and it can be evaluated further.
    To turn the auto restart feature off:
    Right click My Computer
    Properties
    Select the advanced tab
    Click the settings button under Startup and Recovery
    Under System failure, uncheck Automatically restart

6. broke-down carpenter

already gid that have spent last 2 days trying (with success) to keep the load on the sys low. I am thinking the looping restarts might caused file sys errors.
    BDC

7. broke-down carpenter

Alright, I'm at my wits end .
    First I don't get the BSOD it goes right to restart and will start loopping unless I shut it down at the logon screen.
    Second, " SeaTools '' utility says I have 'critical file sys errors'
    Third, I have run chkdsk (2x) since SeaTools
    How do I fix/repair the XP file sys. I need to eliminate software problems before I start replacing hardware,(yes money is an issue).
    Thanks BDC

8. Zma

Zma Private E-2

Try leaving it in a cool place with the case open. If outside cooling can prevent restarts maybe a new heat sink is the answer. They aren't too expensive...

9. broke-down carpenter

Might have figured it out, if so I'll elaborate on a later date

10. broke-down carpenter

I know that part of the problem is a poor outlet,but I have recently learned that the update for Sygate bld.2808 is a little buggy. I have that build # and my problem seems to coincide with the update, I have auto update enabled for Sygate and did'nt know of the update until recently. Could the re-setting/restart be one of the issues?
    Broke-down carpenter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds