Random Usb-like Beeping Noise + Keyboard Locks In Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aktino, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I'm not sure if this is going to end being a software or hardware problem honestly.

My computer will be fine for hours at a time and then randomly; my computer will beep beep and totally stop accepting keyboard input. It still accepts mouse usage but for anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds it will no longer allow any keyboard input. I'm using a PC and an old wired Logitech keyboard. The beeping has gotten me killed many times on the online games I play and pretty much hamstrung my ability to play online with my friends. I took it back into the shop and they could not seem to replicate the problem. They kinda said "dunno bad ram?" and I got 2 new sticks and problem kicked up again the same day. I'm using a windows 7 with 2hds one a SSD that looks to be about 296 GB for boot up and most of my games the other is a 1.36 TB. my computer specs are an intel core i7-2600 cpu @3.40 GHz with 12 GB of ram and 64bit OS. I know a little about my computer in some ways and in others am woefully uninformed. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 in the case as well.

The games I'm playing are an old 2d spaceship shooter called subspace continuum and borderlands 2. I've run my antivirus many times, just recently done memtest (although not sure how to use it, I watched it the whole time and no errors occurred) I've done multiple searches online and a couple on majorgeeks. One of which suggested I turn off any language quick keys so I did. I've noticed it is more likely to happen when alt + tabbing or ctrl + escaping but, naturally it will still happen randomly as well. The old 2d shooter tends to be heavy on the left side of the keyboard ctrl shift tab and accidental capslock. I'm just very frustrated with this and I hope someone can point me in the right direction to fix this aggravating problem.
    -Aktino

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Atkino...

Do you have a hotkeys program? Some graphics drivers install a hotkey program by default, although I'm not sure about Nvidia. I'm thinking mostly of Intel drivers. Take a look in your Nvidia graphics control program and see if hotkeys are there and enabled. Seems like Nvidia would have held off on a hotkeys program for a GTX 760 as heavily as their products like that one are used for gaming, but it seems worth a try.

Maybe this would help (?):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/autohotkey.html

Never used it before, so I am not familiar with what you get with this program, but it is supposed to be great for managing hotkeys...

Here is something else:

http://superuser.com/questions/528745/computer-always-beeps-when-ctrl-and-shift-pressed-together

Check your startups to see if anything there might be causing the problem. CCleaner is excellent for this purpose...

3. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

ccleaner just cleaned up about 5gb and using the 2nd post I found a setting in control panel ease of access keyboard that made caps lock do something if held down for 5 seconds; toggle keys I think. just to play it safe I may try to figure out how to use the autohotkey program you're unsure of as well. Nvidia has a Geforce experience program that acts a bit weird imo. I think at one point I tried to delete the thing but, it either reinstalled itself or refused to go down. The only other hidden icon that bothers me is a safely remove hardware or eject media that gives me the option to eject an ADATA sx900 ATA device. I have not done this fearing it might be my SSD card in my computer and a quick google search seems to verify that that is the case. I'm off to try and learn the how to use the autohotkey wish me luck.

4. AtlBo

I was going to recommend this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...isable-the-sticky-and-filter-keys-in-windows/

but I didn't think it would be the problem, since sticky keys are activated by the shift key. If this is what you mean by Ease of Access keys, by all means I recommend giving that a try. In CCleaner, do you know about the Tools->Startups dialog? You can right click on any of the processes that start with Windows and turn it off so that it won't start on boot.

Good luck with autohotkey. I took a look last night for the first time, but I wasn't aware that it's all script based. I was hoping for a great map with a picture of the keyboard...:(

Just a note. I reinstalled Autohotkey a little while ago, and I had some trouble with the keyboard while going through the tutorial. I created a script and then was unable to type. Ended up doing a System Restore, which is no big deal for me, but I had to go that route, because Autohotkey couldn't be uninstalled for some reason.

Not sure in your situation if adding hotkeys is the best solution, anyway. Seems like you are more interested in eliminating hotkey problems. I have always turned off sticky keys on every machine I have, so I do recommend that to anyone. On the other hand, Autohotkeys is I guess I would say over my head, so I wouldn't be able to recommend it after a closer look...

5. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I took a look at the autokey however I was either too tired or not motivated enough to find out how it could identify the hotkeys. It's more likely to be something else that is going wrong though I think. The tip to use CC cleaner to look at registry and helped me find quite a few dead links and silverlights typical meltdowns when trying to display on firefox after fixing quite a few issues with my registry; around 139 o_O. Below is what my registry and scheduled tasks now looks like this. I'm about to try and test it now to see if my random beeps are an issue after that repair work. CC cleaner has 4 more tabs to look at other than these but this is probably where the problem would lie and it a big enough wall of text as it is.

Startup:
    enabled key program publisher file
    Yes HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
    No HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
    Yes HKCU:Run DisplayFusion Binary Fortress Software "C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusion.exe" (steam program for dual monitors not really using atm)
    No HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    No HKLM:Run BDRegion C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\Shared files\brs.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run CanonQuickMenu CANON INC. C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Quick Menu\CNQMMAIN.EXE /logon
    Yes HKLM:Run egui ESET "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice (antivirus)
    Yes HKLM:Run ETEKCITY Gaming Mouse "C:\Program Files (x86)\ETEKCITY\Gaming Mouse\Monitor.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run IJNetworkScannerSelectorEX CANON INC. C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\IJ Network Scanner Selector EX\CNMNSST.exe /FORCE
    Yes HKLM:Run NvBackend NVIDIA Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe"
    No HKLM:Run RemoteControl10 CyberLink Corp. "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PDVD10Serv.exe"
    No HKLM:Run SDTray Safer-Networking Ltd. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDTray.exe"
    No HKLM:Run ShadowPlay Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\nvspcap64.dll,ShadowPlayOnSystemStart
    Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Oracle Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Scheduled:
    enabled key program publisher file
    Yes Task Adobe Acrobat Update Task C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
    Yes Task Adobe Flash Player Updater Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
    Yes Task CCleanerSkipUAC Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
    Yes Task ESET Windows 10 upgrade – Refresh settings C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0\upgrade.exe (antivirus again)
    Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
    Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore1d041219480211d Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
    Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA1cf6a79aecd0f0b Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler
    Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA1d04121949cb1a0 Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler
    Yes Task {25F6F278-C5FC-45CE-ABE5-36946B198C4A} Mozilla Corporation "c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe" http://ui.skype.com/ui/0/7.2.0.103/en/abandoninstall?page=tsPlugin

6. AtlBo

Atkino...

Have you had the problem again? Also make sure to take a look to see if sticky keys is disabled. It's a supreme annoyance, and it will definitely cause the beeps and then throw you out of a game, etc.

Here is the link again:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...isable-the-sticky-and-filter-keys-in-windows/

I feel like you have a hotkeys problem, but I'm not 100%. Seems to me that hotkey management is one area where MS' OSes have been underequipped. It would be very helpful to have a key map with all of the assignments. Maybe there is such a thing, but I haven't found it in 7 or prior if so...

7. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

yes, it's still doing it and seems to like to happen when entering the game, coming back from a break or just because. I'm not even sure if it is linked to key presses before pressing any combo of keys or just randomly. I'm wondering if the one older stick of memory is bad now myself and how to go about testing that. I thought memtest would catch it but, I don't know. I just followed the link and made sure right shift would no longer alert sticky keys or toggle keys. Here is hoping that this will be what fixes it.

8. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

and it's still doing it..

9. AtlBo

Aktino...

All I can think to do is to take a look through the settings of the programs you have set to run on start to see if there are any hotkeys elements. I can't think of any reason other than hotkeys that this would happen, unless it's hardware.

You can try sfc /scannow. Open command prompt and type the command and hit enter. Make sure it's an administrator command prompt (right click on command prompt in the start menu and select run as administrator). Here is the command to have the results dropped on the desktop. Run this in command prompt after sfc /scannow finishes:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

If you have an installation disk for your version of Windows 7, place it in the cd/dvd tray, and sfc will use it for repairs. If you don't have one, sfc may give you the message that some repairs could not be made. It's still worth running...

10. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Is it a USB keyboard? Have you tried a new keyboard?

11. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I ran the sfc scannow I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at but the only thing that stood out was not being able to repair what looks like the miscrosoft windows wallpaper. My windows 7 was installed at the shop so no I don't have a disc. I like my old style usb keyboard basically due to being so used to the old keyboard layouts but, at this point I'd be completely willing to get a new keyboard / try any and all usd slots on my machine to see if that makes a difference. I'm guessing minor damage to the usb port could be the root and would be wonderful if that's really my only problem. I'll swap it around to different port and/or get a new keyboard. I just found an old emachines keyboard that doesn't use usb I guess I'll dust it off and try the swap.

12. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

Tested for roughly an hour with the old non-usb keyboard and no recurrence yet, Have other things to do today though so will probably test further tomorrow.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

14. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I found an old plain adapter and you are right it doesn't want to work. The slight difference on the old emachines keyboard is enough to throw me off. I tested some more today and had no problems other than a perhaps an accidental tab out of a windowed game (no accompanying noise). I don't think I'll get a chance to test more thoroughly until tomorrow. When I tried plugging the usb keyboard into a couple of different slots I got the initial beep beep noise that I've come to hate the sound of. when I re-plugged this old emachines keyboard in I'd had to reset the comp to get it to work. If however it's more stable somehow I'd much prefer using the standard circular mouse/keyboard input on the back of the comp. I suspect I could just swing by walmart for that adapter to try to see if I can continue to use the usb keyboard in the more common port.

15. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I got a new keyboard a blackweb one that walmart was selling since they had neither of the connectors and I figured it was time to get a good keyboard, however it is also a usb and the beep / freeze is continuing. I likely could pick up an adapter but I really think the problem lies elsewhere now and considering the steps taken so far. I'm leaning towards hardware being the problem. I wonder is the ssd connection inside is lose or if I need to blow it out with canned air. Or perhaps the first comp guys were right and 1 ram stick went bad and now the other last older one went bad somehow as well. I could get 2 new sticks and get upto 16 gb of ram. I'm thinking about trying to pick the brains of a different local computer store as well. The frustrating part of this is not knowing what is wrong so I could end up getting stuff or doing stuff that ultimately does not solve the current problem. Just before I posted this before I even sat down at the computer it made the usb-like beep beep noise yet again.

16. Aktino

Aktino Private E-2

I know this will more likely be hardware side but I'm wondering if it's due to small static electricity shocks. I've noticed that some of the times it seems to happen is when my cat brushes up against me. Every time she did it just a little while ago my computer would beep beep and stop accepting keyboard input. I'm wondering if there is some good way to test this and also if there is a simple fix to prevent it (aside from banishing the cat and ripping up all my carpet)?

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Try unplugging any device that uses USB from your PC apart from Keyboard and Mouse, so any printers, USB pens and also any media cards, also look in the System Tray for the USB symbol and click that to see what USB devices could be still attached, also look in Device Manager for any Yellow ! marks by any device. Have seem this on a work computer until we noticed a printer cable was plugged into the monitor from the PC to enable the monitors USB ports, had a setting in properties for the USB port to goto sleep but would periodically wake up and lock up the keyboard.

Does this happen in Safe Mode BTW?

IF thinking electrical small shocks then again unplug as much as you can, check no damaged or frayed cables, nothing metallic touching any metal part of he PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds