Ransomware Infections Reported Worldwide

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hitest, May 12, 2017.

1. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Saw this on another site, made sure my OS was up to date.

hitest likes this.
  3. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Go to "Bleeping Computers.com" and read their article on this. It mentions an update needed to stop this and gives an MS update reference cve for disabling the chance of infection and the MS article has workarounds for different systems and server systems. I applied to recommended work-around suggested for this 8.1 system to disable SMBv1 @ Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ SMBv1.
    See BC and MS articles. Here's MS page

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

I also have an image from last Sunday on a disconnected drive and will keep it disconnected until this passes over. Follow @Earthling's advice. Image, Image, Image!

4. Imandy Mann

I've dis-abled the smbv1 feature, restarted and returned here, so I believe I can use most sites as normal. And my last year's image and my recent image is in a box with my iPhone ear bubs which I never use. This kind of stuff might convince me that I need to go ahead and get that 3rd external drive. Whoopppeee!

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MG's will have an article on this infection on Sat. in the news archive.

DOA, Mimsy, hitest and 4 others like this.
  6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Microsoft indicate older systems are the ones most affected by this malware, XP being the biggest casualty but right up to Windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

My inner cynic wants to tell people that if they are still on XP they should expect something like this to happen. :p

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yeah, when your OS is old enough to drive, you might want to look into updating it a bit. :rolleyes:

9. Imandy Mann

On the MS link I see win10 ver 1511 and 1607 as needing the patch. I would check into proving I had the update patch or work-arouind on any system - old or new.

Mimsy likes this.
  10. Mimsy

Obviously. Better safe than sorry.

Back to the subject of XP, it's unsurprising that the article Imandy Mann linked to doesn't mention that OS, and has no update for it. That's also a hint it's time to upgrade....

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Imandy Mann likes this.
  11. TimW

Microsoft released an emergency patch for systems XP through 2008.

Mimsy likes this.
  12. Mimsy

I'm still surprised, but happy for the ones who are still stuck on XP.

13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

A good video from Comodo on how its Firewall version 10 stops the current Wannacry ransomware:

hitest and DavidGP like this.
  15. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

'malware tech' himself said the same thing even a short time after he successfully (by accident) stopped the flow of the first attack. He made clear then it wasn't the end.

17. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

All the evidence for these attacks, which sources indicate wont stop, go back to April when a hacking group called Shadow Brokers leaked them. At least one of these cyber attack tools was central to these attacks this week, 'EternalBlue'. The tool was said to have been created by the American NSA - though, as is typical, the agency has neither confirmed nor denied this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39905509
    April leaking for the tools:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39606575

18. Imandy Mann

If you got hit, hopefully you have a backup or image to resort to. Seems the perps probably can't keep up with the un-encrypt process for all the individual computers they infected.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3196...-will-probably-get-you-nothing-heres-why.html

If it missed you, good. But with what happened, all should be warned. Get Crypto Prevent, stay patched, get the latest security updates, update your anti-malware/anti-virus, and read on the port blocks that can help!

And if you're all good right now, make an image, make an image, oh did I say, MAKE AN IMAGE!

Eldon and hitest like this.
  19. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Solid advice. Thanks. I also use Crypto Prevent on my Win 10 Pro laptop. All Windows updates applied, AV and anti-malware apps updated. I also created new back-ups of all of my stuff.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  20. Imandy Mann

Thanks to you for starting this thread! Maybe opened a few eyes that never knew what could happen. Hopefully all our friends here @ MGeeks are all well.

hitest likes this.
  21. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Haven't used that software before. Is it intrusive on RAM and CPU usage?

22. motc7

Nevermind, I just downloaded and installed it. Not much of a footprint at all.

hitest likes this.
  23. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Agreed. My Lenovo T420 has modest specs it has an i5 2.50 GHz cpu and 8 GB RAM. It runs well on my unit.

24. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I have not seen any issue of this.All my systems are very well protected.

25. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The target has been mostly organisations.

26. Anon-469e6fb48c

Than whats the fuss about.It's nothing new.

27. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suggest you read any of the media links here in this very thread, or any reputable media that has reported on it, and you would know that yes it is a new variant that was leaked by a hacker group in April and was actually created by the US's NSA. It targeted most Windows OS's from XP to 8 but MS got a fix out exceptionally quick.
    The 'fuss' was that it targeted systems in at least NINETY-NINE countries, and temporarily shut down the networks in many massive organisations.

28. motc7

NHS was one of them. I'm told it was the first time the NHS shutdown due to a situation not involving worker strikes. LOL

DavidGP likes this.
  29. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I think it was terrible that the NHS was shutdown by the malware infection. I hope that patients did not suffer as a result of the malware.

30. Anon-469e6fb48c

I still don't see what the fuss is about.It's the same crap that has been going on for the last few years.

Luckily i have not been effected by this issue not once since it started.And i am on the net for 6 to 8 hours a day.

This first attack really started back in 1980's so it's nothing really all that new.Just make sure your system has adblockers and malware fighters on it and it should be just fine.

Adblockers are your best thing to have.I have come across so many bad sites that do nothing but pop up ad's that have this stuff.

There are a lot worse malware and virus out there that most people have never even heard of.

It may slow firefox down a little bit but i would rather be safer than most people than not having any type of protection the internet explorer or edge which both have zero protection against these attacks.And people wonder way there system gets infected by these bad web sites that drop virus's and malware into the system with out you knowing about it.

Firefox
    plus
    Adblockplus
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/?src=search
    Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/elemhidehelper/?src=search
    uBlock Origin
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search
    Pop-up Controller
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pop-up-control/?src=search

So far with these in my firefox add ons i have not have had much of an issue.

The only problem is that you will have to disable them when you are entering a secure site like banking and credit card sites.

31. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

True!

32. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As reported on MSM the NHS in UK was hit around 40 Trusts but we were not one, however I was without email on Mon - Tue as a precaution just in case of a random PC we have still on XP, which I think was good practice, although to do my work on Mon /Tue I needed to remote into Queens Uni Belfast to use a server their to access the medical imaging software I needed, arse about tit but worked ok. I do think and personally that the IT managers in any Trust that do predominently use XP and did not patch need to be removed and never work in NHS again, they were told 2yrs ago to not use XP and migrate and 1 month ago an alert went out to patch for this ransomeware.

Lessons to be learnt and shows infastructure is the new target so GOVs need to spend more on cyber security.

33. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can you confirm or deny this DavidGP? Woody Leonhard insists that XP computers were NOT hit by the original wave. Rather it was unpatched Windows 7 computers.
    Source: https://www.askwoody.com/2017/the-original-wannacry-does-not-infect-windows-xp-boxes/

He stated this for a week. Obviously he is not in the UK so I'm not sure what he is using as his source of information.

Note: that isn't to say XP will not be hit with copycat malware.

34. Anon-469e6fb48c

Well i was fully patched and i run windows 7 64 bit and did not see any hits like ransom ware on my system.

Or may be it's me that prevents that infection i guess.

I have not used windows xp in about 7 years.I stuck with pretty much windows 7 be cause most of my stuff is comparable i guess.I am even running windows 7 on my newer laptop.It was a pain to find all the correct files needed.

35. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Yup. Microsoft patched this exploit for Windows 7-10 a few months ago. Up to date Windows installs are fine. MS released a patch for XP a day or two after the ransomware hit.

36. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The fix that MS released recently was actually for XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 8. It's detailed clearly in the Customer Guidance Statement they issued at the time, but there still seems to be confusion.

37. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

We have a lot of installs that are 16 - 20 years old and still running. Good thing they are not Windows, LOL.

DavidGP and hitest like this.
  38. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I have 10 computers in my house. Most are Linux, BSD, and iOS. I spend the most time maintaining my Win 10 Pro laptop.

DOA likes this.
  39. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I spend almost no time 'maintaining' my 4 systems with Win 10 and I do now use Linux on two of them. I don't 'love' windows and so I don't share the slightly bizarre attitude to Apple Mac products that many (but not all!) of its users have which is often verging on religious faith.
    The reason Windows is targetted for malware is nothing to do with 'Apple' good, 'Windows' bad. It's because hackers want a stadium full of victims, not a village hall!

Eldon, joffa and Mimsy like this.
  40. Mimsy

This also explains why large organisations suffered so much more than consumers. Most businesses take the "if it's not broken, don't mess with it" approach to their computer systems.

DavidGP likes this.
  41. plodr

I am trying to track down the source for this Kaspersky image that shows WannaCry (the original strain) does not affect XP
    https://www.askwoody.com/2017/windows-10-anniversary-update-ok/

If anyone can track down that Kaspersky article source, either post the link here or send me a PM with it.
    Thanks in advance.

42. TimW

43. plodr

44. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

plodr, I think Woody is right and this might be how he sees it, as I do.
    MS TechNet related WannaCry to SMBv1 in their intro here https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-wannacry-why-and-how-to-avoid-them-both.aspx
    Kaspersky relates it to SMBv2 here https://securelist.com/blog/inciden...sed-in-widespread-attacks-all-over-the-world/
    Looking at the SMB - OS deployment history, according to wiki, XP uses SMBv1 protocol, SMBv2 was introduced with Vista and Win7, and SMBv3 with Win 8 and 10 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
    So, if Kaspersky is right in that its an SMBv2 problem, which the stats seem to support, we wouldn't see it on XP, 8, nor 10. Vista was too statistically insignificant to appear on their graph. It sure seems MS TechNet had it wrong.

DavidGP likes this.
  45. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

While more Windows 7 PC were infected, don't forget...
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/microsoft-issues-wanacrypt-patch-for-windows-8-xp/

Everyone's attention was diverted to companies using PCs running Windows XP and then the hackers hit those running unpatched Windows 7 systems.
    Clever ploy...

46. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suspect this is one of the downsides of the problems posted about here many times in the last year about users with problems running updates on Windows 7. Given that for every user who posts on an online forum, there will be at least 100 others facing the same problem, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of Win 7 users simply turned off Windows Update. Given that Win 7 has the largest number of users (much larger than Vista, 8 and 10) that would explain why it was hit the hardest.
    But MS did include a security update for the hacking tool in March and I suspect it was simply not applied.
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/

47. Mimsy

Alternatively, they set it to update at night when they're not using the computer, without realizing that the computer actually has to be on for the update to run.

I'm not kidding. A friend of mine did this a couple of years ago.

katkat likes this.
  48. Anon-9aee479f8f

:DThis reminds me of a story my parents use to tell of a neighbor getting her first car with air-conditioning. She went to the grocery and got her groceries, much of which needed refrigeration, and spent the rest of the day shopping at Sears, Roebuck & Co. before going home. Because after all her car had air-conditioning. :eek:

49. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Now you have me wondering how low I can set my "pet protection". My car will not let the interior above a set value, the air conditioning automatically comes on to protect pets. Maybe I can keep my groceries cool!

50. Anon-9aee479f8f

"pet protection" should be named " child and pet protection". Sadly we see tragic news reports all to often about this.

On a lighter note, I wonder how long it took this lady to realize air conditioning did not work unless motor is running?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds