Re: Auto protect on Norton antivirus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pozzydrive, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Folks, seem to be having a few problems with my computer again, with Norton antivirus all of a sudden the auto protect has stopped working, I go to options and find the box is unticked, I tick the box and press the OK button, if I go back into it again the box is unticked again, I've tried the default button which automatically ticks the auto protect box, then again Ok and when I boot up again the same happens no tick in the autoprotect box? puzzled, I dont know if this is the same problem I am having with the google toolbar, I keep down loading it but its no where to be seen, I'm running windows XP Pro, any help would be appreciated.

2. Blockhead

Blockhead Private E-2

I had the same problem, and it is very disconcerting. I spent a lot of time trying to fix it to no avail. Finally resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling Norton. I had made a backup disk when I first downloaded Norton a year ago (which they suggested) so I started with that, then had to go to the site to get all the updates. Took a while, but solved the problem. I have tons of security on my system, but I still think somehow my system was compromised.

A side note: while trying to figure out what was wrong, I clicked everything I saw at Norton's site that might offer some help, and at one point it scanned my computer and came back with "You do not have the latest version of Live Update." Needless to say, by then I was gnashing my teeth and spewing odd-sounding words. I keep Live Update scheduled to run automatically...which it does...so why didn't it "update" to the latest version? gurrrrrr.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and hope this helps in some way.

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

here is the majority idea of Norton around here...it sucks. now, you three all of had problems, and there has been countless others that use it. we tell them the same thing...keep using Norton and struggle with it, or use a BETTER, FREE alternative. here is a whole list of alternative anti-virus programs that do not have a crappy updating system...they do not bog your system down. I personally have used two different programs, and they were wonderful.
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

i suggest Avast!, AntiVir, or AVG, and all are found in the above link, and all are BETTER than Norton (and they are free)

4. acejones

I personally recommend Avast. Those are anti-virus programs. If you want a firewall, then you'll need to visit http://majorgeeks.com/downloads34.html. I use Sygate Personal Edition (also free), and ZoneAlarm is good too.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

For free, I like AVG better, but I have been a NOD32 convert as of late, think I am going to buy it. Good stuff.

6. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Blockhead same problem here, no update on the live update, very annoying, maybe there is a virus on my PC and Norton cannot find it?

7. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Thankyou AceJones, have taken note and may well take your advice, thankyou.

8. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

I would have thought that Symantic/Norton would have had a simple fix for this, or that someone out their would know a way of fixing this problem, seems to be common, what evers doing this must be known to Norton.

9. acejones

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Wouldn't happen to be using AOL UK version would you? If so, what version? Bazza

====

11. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Bazza, no I'm not using AOL, didn't like it seemed to go into every part of my PC, had problems trying to get rid of it, use Firenet now, good enough for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds