Re: Ethernet Controller driver missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by syncbox, Jan 11, 2009.

1. syncbox

syncbox Private E-2

I have a systemax venture desktop running Vista HP... (hate it, but xp laptop is malfunctioning in a different way) so forced to use it. It's a 1 1/2 old but only been used for 3 weeks now. It is no longer under service warranty, though.

Problem: today, startup says "Found New Hardware - Ethernet Controller" but needs to install the driver. However, no driver can be found, even with the OEM software disk inserted, etc. I did a bit of looking around and thought I'd found the driver but apparently not. This sounds the same as the problem in this thread, but with a different motherboard/manufacturer. I'm hoping you can be my miracle worker, too! (TIA)

Here's my setup:
    Systemax Venture Desktop running Vista Home Premium, has latest updates
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus
    Motherboard: D975XBX2 (Intel)

Problem Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound
    Architecture: x86
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_321D1186&REV_01
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

I managed to find out that I have an "on-board" LAN controller from the original PC support system (out of warranty, though) that listed the components of my computer. It states:

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 Features
    Form Factor ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters])
    Processor Support for Intel® CoreTM2 Extreme processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
    Support for an Intel® CoreTM2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
    Support for an Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
    Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology? (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus)
    Support for an Intel® Pentium® D processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus
    Support for an Intel Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology? (in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus)
    NO Celeron-D support, NO P4 533FSB Support
    Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
    Support for DDR2 800, DDR2 667, or DDR2 533 MHz DIMMs
    Support for up to 8 GB of system memory
    Support for ECC and non-ECC memory
    Chipset Intel® 975X Express Chipset
    Audio Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in one of the following configurations:
    8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two S/PDIF digital audio outputs (coaxial and optical) using the Sigmatel* 9274D audio codec
    6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem with three analog audio outputs using the Sigmatel 9227 audio codec
    ATI* CrossFire* Multi-GPU Platform Support ATI CrossFire technology enables two ATI graphics cards to work together for ultimate 3D gaming performance and visual quality
    I/O Control Legacy I/O controller for diskette drive, serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports
    LAN Support Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82573E/82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Peripheral Interfaces Eight USB 2.0 ports
    Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller)
    One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
    One diskette drive interface
    One serial port
    One parallel port
    PS/2* keyboard and mouse ports
    2 - 1394A firewire ports - 1 rear, 1 MB header for front port
    Expansion Capabilities Two PCI Conventional* bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to both PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors)
    One Primary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x16 or x8) bus add-in card connector
    One Secondary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x8) bus add-in card connector
    One PCI Express* x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector

-----------
    I hope this is enough information to get some help. I will monitor this thread but can be contacted at syncbox AT gmail DOT com (do the obvious)... I tried finding the drivers on the Intel site, but every attempt (and I DID find them) to get to the page from their links resulted in an error / file not found page. Not sure why.

The Intel site indicated that I needed the 82573L driver(s). Trying to find them elsewhere resulted in PROVISTA3 Driver Installer executable, which I tried (it was digitally signed by Intel) but it did not fix the issue. I cannot "check online" from the computer affected because it cannot connect!

I am not a techie when it comes to computers; I've used them for years and am comfortable with most stuff, but not the really geeky things. I don't understand why my computer would have a ton of drivers listed to choose from (via the device manager browse option) but NONE being the one needed. Why have ANY that are not needed?

I've tried selecting ones that seem close (by Intel) and the second step says that Windows can't confirm compatibility, so I've opted out, so as not to make the situation worse than it is. I would rather not have to re-install Vista on this computer as I JUST switched to it from the flaky laptop 3 weeks ago and am tired of computer h-e-l-l, if you know what I mean.

I don't understand Vista at all. Actually, I hate it, hence not using this computer for a year & a half!

Please help. I will be eternally grateful and bake you some cookies if you want.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

All of the drivers for your motherboard for Vista can be found at this link:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...ndows+Vista*+32&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go!
    I recommend installing the chipset drivers first, then restart the PC. Then go to the Control Panel > Programs and see if any ethernet drivers are currently listed. If so, remove them. Then install the ethernet (or LAN) driver from the link I provided above.
    Good luck!

3. syncbox

syncbox Private E-2

I think I got it all fixed, thanks... turns out, despite what the device manager and the popup dialogs were saying, it was the pci wireless card that was malfunctioning... nothing wrong with it, but not working and causing the vista box to choke.

So, I took it out and put it into a different pci slot and restarted and all was well.

but thank you SO much for taking the time to respond. I'll mark this as solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds