RE: I Have A Dilemma -- Windows XP SP3.

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, Apr 19, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a dilemma. I will address this in a minute. First, as your are aware, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) will be ending this July 2010 forcing anyone that still is running Service Pack 2 to update (“upgrade” is more like it) to Windows XP Service Pack 3. I am still running Windows XP SP2 and I have hidden the SP3. At times when I manually check for Windows XP updates, I use the “Custom” option under Microsoft Updates and not the “Express” option since “Express” option includes the installation of the SP3. Yes, I avoid SP3. Why you may ask? This is the reason and ultimately my dilemma. First, I need to explain what I do in order for you to understand why I do not install SP3. Over time, there are times when the computer needs its files repaired, I am strictly speaking of the Windows XP files. I have found over time that Windows files often do get corrupted or damaged in some way which is completely understandable after many months, especially after installing and removing programs and applications. I have learned to use System File Checker (part of the Windows repair utilities) built into Windows to fix the Windows damage that often occurs. It works great. In order to use the System File Checker that is specific with Windows XP, I have to use the CD-ROM. System File Checker references the damaged files in Windows XP against the CD-ROM. Windows Vista and 7 work differently than Windows XP – System File Checker references their clean Windows files that are integrated into some safe location within the Windows operating system drive. This means the “clean” undamaged original files System File Checker verifies against are stored somewhere on your hard drive. Windows XP FORCEABLY fixes damaged files when System File Checker is running from the CD-ROM. I have learned when you use System File Checker in Windows Vista or 7, IF there is Windows file corruption found, THEN it is often next to impossible to often repair Windows Vista or 7 file corruption/damage. In Windows Vista or 7, System File Checker DOES NOT FORCE the Windows repair unlike Windows XP using the CD-ROM. If after the System File Checker process is completed in Windows Vista or 7 and there is corruption found (You get that statement, I forget now.), it takes an Einstein to figure out how to repair the corrupted files. Yes, there is a way, but it is a real absolute bitch! It can take many hours even if you even how what you are doing if you’re an absolute computer geek. Windows Vista and 7 will not FORECABLY fix corrupted or damaged files. This is one of the main reasons why I still use Windows XP. I KNOW when I use System file checker, my files WILL BE FIXED in Windows XP! I sure wish there was a way to have Windows Vista or 7 to reference its DVD-ROM when you run System File Checker and FORCE Window file repair. I would assume you would have to modify some registry files in order to use your optical drive. Also I would need to know how to FORCE a Windows Vista or 7 file repair (fix) directly from the DVD-ROM instead of Windows Vista and 7’s passive repair manner. If someone knows how to: 1. Use the Windows Vista & 7 DVD-ROM instead of the installed Windows files during the System File Checker. 2. FORCE A REPAIR to any damaged/corrupted Windows Vista & 7 Windows files that were found during the System File Checker process. IF YOU KNOW NOW, PLEASE TELL ME!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you may be thinking about Windows Vista and 7 and this issue, that I use the Windows Vista or 7 DVD-ROM and do a repair upgrade installation to fix Windows files. Yes, I have done that. Several times I have done that a matter of fact. I have found that this may not always complete satisfactorily during the process. There is more often failure running the process than success. I found if you have installed several 3rd party programs and applications into Windows Vista or 7, the process will nine times out of ten end in failure and revert back to the previous installation. You are stuck with a corrupt Windows Vista or 7. The last result is a clean installation. NO! So basically, if you have found any corruption in Windows Vista or 7, you are stuck with the corruption with no solutions!

Anyways, I am getting away from my issue. I got side tracked. So… …IF I WERE to install the SP3 in Windows XP; I would have Windows XP SP3. Great! Now, if I were to use System File Checker, I have issues. (What I am telling you here is what I have attempted previously when I installed SP3 before.) Remember I said before that I needed to use the Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM when using System File Checker. Now that I would have Windows XP SP3, Windows XP will tell me in a message to use the correct CD now. Obviously, this makes sense now! I now have an updated version of Windows XP. So, I am stuck! I have called Microsoft to see if they have an updated Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM available so I could use that one instead so I could do Windows XP file repair. They told me they never made a Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM where the SP3 IS INTEGRATED INTO the Windows XP files. See, I have to have the SP3 files INTEGRATED into the Windows XP SP2 operating system files in order for Windows XP’s System File Checker acknowledges I have the correct CD-ROM. It seems to me that System File Checker verifies Windows versions of their CD-ROMs. SP3 would have a higher version number or code than SP2. Now, I have tried slipstreaming Windows XP SP3 files (downloaded files) into Windows SP2 files (using the files on the Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM) to create a new integrated Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM. The slipstreaming was a success. I thought this would be my solution! For some reason, the slipstreaming does not work with System File Checker. Somehow the System File Checker does not recognize the home-made slipstreamed Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM to verify against when System File Checker begins to run. It considers it Windows XP SP2 still in terms of version. It seems like a MICROSOFT FACTORY MADE Windows XP CD-ROM is the ONLY MEANS in order to use System File Checker. What does Microsoft do to their factory made Windows XP CD-ROMs that cannot be duplicated? …to convince Windows XP SP3 that I indeed have a FACTORY-LIKE VERSION OF Windows XP SP3? How can I trick or convince System File Checker on Windows XP SP3 to accept a slipstreamed (home-made) Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM? This is my dilemma. DO YOU KNOW HOW I CAN MAKE A Windows XP SP3 CD-ROM THAT WILL WORK??? IF YOU CAN AND IT WORKS, I WILL GLADLY INSTALL SP3 NOW!!! PLEASE SHARE!!! Any other solutions you can think of so I can successful use System File Checker in Windows XP SP3? Please reply. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Maybe support for SP2 is ending, but nobody will be "forced" to install SP3. I don't intend to.

3. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Using the system file checker in 7, if you need to copy the files from you disc, all the files are located in the i386, with the last character in the exension replaced with an underscore. So, let's say, for example, that explorer.exe was corrupted. Also, for all intensive purposes, your system folder is still the default at C:\Windows\ and the optical drive is D:.
    You would open a command prompt, and type:
    Code:
    copy D:\i386\explorer.ex_ C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    And, Microsoft doesn't just end an operating system. They end support for an operating system. For example, I have Windows 98 installed on old computer, which is even connected to the internet sometimes. Microsoft can't force you to do anything.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Good dissertation on the SFC /scannow function which can be totally frustrating. Looking forward to more replies. I understand what you said Zdawg, but why doesn't Windows just repair these on its own? Or does it?:confused

5. LI_Geek_95

It does in XP, but apparently not in Vista, according to the OP. I do not use vista(nor will I ever), so I don't know.

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

It does in XP only if you have the proper SP disk. The OP said it didn't work with XP3 even after slip streaming it into XP2.

Still would like to find one universal solution to this.:wave:wave

7. montecarlo1987

Thanks for your replies. Yes, no one is "forced" per se to move into SP3 for XP, but if you value your Windows Updates I am told will end IF YOU HAVE THAT SP STILL INSTALLED (SP2). Now, it gets me thinking if this is correct or not since I have never experienced going beyond an expired Microsoft extended support service pack (into the unknown). Maybe some of you out there knows how Microsoft handles this? A similar situation would be ending Microsoft extended support for a whole Microsoft operating system too... ...what happens? I WOULD SURELY THINK that when it comes to a complete end of extended support for a whole Windows operating system (ultimately the last service pack), Microsoft will SURELY DO NOT get any more updates PERIOD. I would think this is a no brainer. However, I am not sure about when Microsoft ends extended support for a service pack where the Windows operating system (AS A WHOLE) is TECHNICALLY STILL being supported. In this case ending extended support for a service pack (SP2) when Windows XP IN OF ITSELF is still being supported (SP3). Will those that stay with SP2 and not go on to SP3 still get those routine updates from Microsoft since it is still Windows XP and Windows XP is still supported per se (SP3)? Any thoughts and facts would be appreciated.

IF MICROSOFT DOES END "ANY" WINDOWS/MICROSOFT UPDATES "BASED ON YOUR WINDOWS SERVICE PACK" (WHETHER IT REFERENCES IT when updates are performed), then YOU MAY IF YOU WANT TO update to SP3. However, if you don't your would be (OVER TIME) susceptible to malware attacks, increased incompatibility issues and system glitches. This is common sense. "I" would not want that to happen to my Windows XP that I have loved for such a long time. See, I have never been into the unknown (or beyond the point of no return so to speak). I am usually on top if it. Any thoughts?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

md2lgyk, if you choose not to update, be advised that after July 13, 2010, MS will not issue any patches or updates for XP if SP3 is not installed.

9. montecarlo1987

Hello. Just an update...

I TOOK THE PLUNGE!

I installed Windows XP SP3 with the help of Microsoft Technical Support. I had an issue unique to me. During the first installation process conducted on my own earlier I received an error when SP3 was updating the registry files. The tech rep. had to reset my security software (Microsoft Article KB313222) and I installed SP3 in safe mode with all external USB plugs and connections except for keyboard, mouse, and internet connection disconnected. It worked.

Yes, I know, I have that issue with System file Checker now regarding upgrading to SP3. AM I ABSOLUTELY STUPID? Maybe. I guess it is that fuzzy feeling to know I have the latest version of Windows XP. The MS Tech Rep. noted in a matter of speaking that the fixes in the service pack are greater than the sum of the fixes through individual Microsoft updates we routinely receive. I guess I feel better in that regard.

I have spoke to the Microsoft Tech Rep.. He said that after SP2 has terminated in July 2010, users WILL STILL receive Microsoft's routine updates IF THEY REMAIN WITH SP2!!! That is from the horse's mouth. We will see. You just can't have Microsoft Technical Support help you (telephone or chat) if you get in touch with them and they see you have SP2 still present... ...and there are a few patches that may not work in SP2, that is all. Yah, I have seen online articles indicating that updates and patches -- that users will not able to get them automatically and/or not be able to install them if SP2 is present after July 2010. We will see who is right, but I trust what the MS Tech. Rep. says. SO, I COULD OF KEPT SP2 RIGHT ALONG! Yah, but I wanted that "extra security" with SP3.

Also, I have another Microsoft Tech. Rep. (He sounds like a Senior level.) that is helping me with the SP3 and System File Checker (SFC) issue. He is keenly aware of the issue and will get back to me tomorrow (4/21/10). He needs to research this as his attempts to try to fix in on my system have failed today.
    I will keep you posted "IF" there is a solution to the SFC issue on XP SP3.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed he finds a solution!!!

I

10. LI_Geek_95

Thank you for going to the "root" (sorry Gates) and getting the information!
    (...maybe I should say "Administrator" ?) XD

11. montecarlo1987

Hello! I'm back!

Yes, the Microsoft Tech. Rep. got back in touch with me. He was very polite and pleasant when I picked-up the phone. I know where this was leading...
    NO, HE COULD NOT FIX MY ISSUE. He said that I am stuck with not being able to use the System Configuration Utility with SP3! I was hoping for a positive response, but I did not get one. He was short and brief in his response. agreed that slipstreaming does not work. He said he would keep the case open for me. (I think he felt bad for me that Microsoft cannot fix *THEIR* issue.) So... I could try to "RIP OUT" SP3 and go back to SP2 so I can use the System File Checker again. Well, I have tried that before with removing SP3 in XP (during a past XP SP3 installation) and YOU WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR XP IN REMOVING IT!!! What happened to me last time: After removing and rebooting XP is that once XP rebooted for the first time, I get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) that flashes before my eyes and does so at each repeated restart. I can never get back into XP again. A clean install is the only recourse at that point! I am SOL if I do so! I'M SOL FOR GOING TO SP3!!! I guess have have to enjoy my "extra security" features with SP3. :(rolleyes :(

12. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Thanks for sharing this. They can't fix their own problem???:major

Well at least we can all have confidence as he is "keeping the case open". I imagine they'll have techs working overtime all weekend on this. :-D:-D:-D

13. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I'm sure they can...just don't want to...not "cost effective" to put out a solution for XP SP2 users, when those users could simply "upgrade" to Vista or Win7.

Why encourage people to stick with "working" Legacy software, when there are new "improved" versions to sell them?!

14. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Yes, I know that. I don't care - there are many prior updates I chose not to install. Since I don't use IE I'm not too concerned.

15. Jerry808

Jerry808 Private E-2

Here is something that may help

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

In it, the author gives a couple of registry tweaks that make SFC look on your system drive for the files it needs instead of an install CD.

I have not tried this, but it looks sensible. Happy learning! Jerry

16. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I've seen that before and I wonder if it works.:confused:confused

If yes, why the H#@* doesn't MS incorporate this into the function???

17. montecarlo1987

Thanks Jerry808 for your reply!

Yes, I have been to that given website sometime ago. I know the Microsoft MVP author gives excellent instructions and troubleshooting. Pointing to the I386 Folder after placing it on my C: drive does not work, even with the registry modifications changing the value to my C: drive. I tried that on my own before and I had the Microsoft Tech. Rep. assist me as he was connected to my computer on his first day attempt to fix this issue just the other day. He performed the same changes and it did not work. System File Checker (SFC) still seeks the Windows XP Professional SP3 CD. WHAT IS IT WITH THE FULL WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP3 CD THAT IT NEEDS??? I am have been wondering what more files or folders it needs beyond the I386 folder when you run SFC??? I thought I386 folder has everything SFC needs? I am told everything is there for SFC. I guess not. It doesn't make sense to me. :confused Weird, weird, weird! Nuts! :( :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds