Re-installing Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ewen, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

When my system first updated to Win 10 I spent sometime investigating all the new applications and one of them was Edge I decided right from the start that I didn't like it.

I used Revo-Uninstaller to remove it and I did a thorough search through the Registry to remove all traces of it. So thorough was my removal that there was absolutely no trace of it on my computer. But some time later I was using my wife's PC and I tried out Edge and I liked it. Now after much hunting (Googling) around the net I can find no way to re-install it or even download it. Every site I go to inevitably returns me to Microsoft which gives me no hint of how to re-install it.

I even determined to reinstall the latest update Version 1703 which was also a pointless exercise as I already have it. So in desperation I have come here to the site of all knowledge in the hope that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. Must admit that I did achieve a recovery of sorts which opened Edge (hooray I thought) and promptly closed it 30 seconds later. On Googling the problem I found that dozens of others had the same problem. Googling for a fix took me back to MS which was no help at all.

So any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  4. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Thank you Max unhappily I have found that thread and I have entered and re-entered that script over and over and it fails every time. I am no expert at scripting or interpreting errors but running the script returns an error every time. I have never noted what it it is but I will run it again particularly in view of your comments regarding step 6.

I'll redo the exercise tonight and come back with the result and errors (hopefully this time all will be well).

Why oh why can't Microsoft provide a down load like other self respecting companies?

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'll be honest with you, I think it was a mistake to uninstall it especially using IoBit. Edge in Windows 10 is just like Internet Explorer in all versions of Windows - trying to uninstall it brings problems and headaches. Just not using it and not setting it as the default is the best option.
    But I wish you well with trying, and if not get some answers on the https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ forum
    You might have to resort to a RESET of Windows.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

In the Search box, type in Windows PowerShell. Right-click it and then select Run as administrator.

Once Windows PowerShell is launched, go to your user account’s directory by entering the following command:

cd C:\users\yourusername

Replace “your username” with the actual username of your account.

Copy and paste the following command in the prompt and then press Enter:

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose

If that command doesn't work, try this one:

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | ForEach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Thank you TimW, Both commands deliver an Edge screen which promptly disappears after 30 seconds or so. MaxTurner said "I'll be honest with you, I think it was a mistake to uninstall it" and in hindsight I think his comment is valid. I don't want to go through the pain of a reset so I'll wait and hope the next major upgrade repairs the damage. Thank you for your help

Regards

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Well I have bitten the bullet and reset the computer (it's at 15%% at the moment), here's hoping all goes well and things return to a semblance of normality. I'll keep you all posted of the outcome.

I have however made a Macrium backup of the earlier system which works well with some minor drawbacks so if I have a tragedy I'll be able to restore.

In the meantime I would like to thank all the helpers who have provided invaluable help and advice, very much appreciated.

Regards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds