Re-installing XP with format

Discussion in 'Software' started by RockinRoll, Apr 17, 2010.

1. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Hi,

I have an old Dell Dimension L866r running XP. It's running really slowly. I've tried a few of the defrag/reg cleaner/mem optimizer/etc. programs and it's still a real dog.

I tried to re-install XP from a CD that did *not* come with the computer. There is a sticker on the side of the computer with the registration number but when I entered it it said something like, "The reg number and the disc do not match" and aborted.

Can I use a different CD if I have the correct/unique reg number?

Thanks.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

From what I found, it came with a P3 (866MHz) and 382MB RAM with a 6.4GB hard drive.
    Not todays top of the line.
    Is this the setup you have?

4. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

It's a P3 (866Mhz) only 128MB RAM and 40GB hard drive.

5. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Thanks, Just Playin! I'll take a look.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The amount of RAM stated (128MB) is your biggest bottleneck.
    Should have a minimum of 526MB or better for XP.
    Too much going on for that little amount to keep up with.

7. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Yes, I understand that the RAM is the bottleneck. But it used to run much faster and I've tried all the things I listed and more.

Is there a way to reinstall XP without the original disks or is there another way to get a clean PC?

I've checked System Restore and there's nothing that goes back far enough to get me back to a clean slate. Is there some other way?

-

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Unfortunately, with the service packs, 128M of RAM just won't cut it.

Download Winpatrol from HERE
    And use it to turn off the start up programs. Turn off all but anti virus.

Use a "lite" anti virus like AVAST.

Visit www.blackviper.com and reduce your services load. Pick the "safe" column.

Turn off indexing, adjust, under the advanced options in "My computer", for best performance.

Even with this, 128M of RAM will still take several minutes to boot. :wave:wave

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Please do your self a huge favor and put more RAM in.
    My hubby is running win 2K on 256MB and it is slow. Win 2K needs less memory than XP so I can imagine how slooooow the computer is.

10. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I'll certainly second that one! I have an old 98 lappy with 128 in it. Now that boots in about 30 seconds.
    No anti-virus or other security though. But I don't keep anything on it and I have the install disks so if it catches something, no big deal. :wave:wave:wave

11. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Thanks, plodr. Unfortunately I'm kinda stuck right now with the ram I've got...no job/no income. My "new" computer committed suicide and the old Dell is what I've got for now. But your post gave me an idea. I do have an W2K disk that I forgot about. I may give that a shot.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

W2K support will end July 13, 2010 which means no more updates after that. You might be okay for a few months "unpatched".

If you have any friends with stashes of old computer innards, you might be able to get them to look through the RAM and see if there are any spare sticks you can use.

According to Crucial, the Dimension series L line can use the following:
    Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 256MB per slot.
    # Maximum Memory: 512MB
    # Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

If you have two 64MB sticks presently (the computer came with 64MB), you can remove one and put in anything up to 256MB.
    And, since the memory does not have to be installed in matching pairs, any loose sticks that people have, up to 256MB should work (PC133 speed).

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have 2 sticks of PC133 (2x128MB) just lying around.
    Yours if you want them.

14. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Hi, hrlow!

Sorry, I don't know how I missed seeing your offer. Anyway, I just wanted let you know that it was appreciated!
    -

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds