RE: Is Cyberpower Battery Backups Sensitive To Tripping?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montecarlo1987, Oct 10, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a question that I need your expert opinion. I am needing to replace my UPS battery backup system. I had have an APC unit for 5 years [Back-UPS 725 ES – been discontinued now for some time). The battery is long dead and there was hardly any runtime when I did a power failure test over a year ago anyways. Finally, the battery bit the dust (dead). This battery longevity, as some experts have told me is excellent. Some experts have told me that the wattage rating this old unit is rather low and get a newer one with higher wattages.

I am looking at the Cyberpower CP900AVR UPS - 900VA/560W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/RJ45/Coax Tower EMI/RFI USB as a replacement. [Website: http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285805199&sr=1-1] I like this because this unit has TWO (dual) 12 V batteries. This will give me a slightly longer runtime. I am also looking at the APC Back-UPS RS
    Power-saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 - APC Back-UPS RS, 600 Watts / 1000 VA,Input 120V / Output 120V. [Website: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-O...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286687746&sr=1-4 ] I THINK this newer version of APC has a dual 12 V batteries as well. Both this battery backups are very good units.

Now, I am told that the Cyberpower CP900AVR UPS has an issue reported by someone that their unit trips when a print from a color laserjet printer is executed. [Website: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo ]The user notes the color laserjet printer is not directly plugged into the Cyberpower battery backup system, but plugged into the same wall outlet (different plug). Now, THIS IS MY SETUP WITH POWER WIRING for my B&W laserjet printer. NOTE: I do not have another wall outlet IN THE SAME ROOM to use to plug into for the laserjet printer, so I have to use this same outlet but different plug. Now before I buy the Cyberpower, this could happen to me once I have my computer tower and monitor connected the Cyberpower and the laserjet connected to same wall wall outlet, different plug? Is the Cyberpower so sensitive? Is there something I am overlooking why this happens? I have never had this issue of tripping with the now APC dead battery unit. In your honest opinion, what way should I go between these two battery backup units? Please provide some reasons as well.

NOTED: These are your opinions, so you’re not held of any responsibility.

Please reply.

Thank you!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd say that if this report is only from one person, it could be that their wall outlet wiring needs checking or replacing, it may otherwise be that their printer has a fault that's causing it or even the surge protector it was connected to.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree 100% with satrow. It could be a problem with that specific Cyberpower unit, but not the whole line. I've used Cyberpower UPS and found them to be just as reliable as APC. And while I agree it could be the laser, the UPS "should" be protecting the equipment plugged into it from the laser.

I generally don't pay much attention to "user reviews" unless there are many complaints of the exact same problem indicating a trend.

Regardless the brand there are entry level models and higher end models. So while saving money may be a priority, you still need to get a "good" UPS with AVR. Stay away from the cheapest. That said, I prefer APC. The batteries seem easier to replace in them.

Oh, and the number of batteries inside does not necessarily mean longer run time.

In any event, I applaud you for using a UPS. It is a wise move as S&S protectors are little more than fancy, and expensive, extension cords. I think all computers (and big screen TVs, and home theater audio equipment) should be on a good UPS with AVR).

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Have you considered replacing the battery in your APC Back-UPS 725 ES? I did that with my APC Back-UPS 500 ES. Apparently, Digerati has also done a battery replacement with his APC UPS.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Actually, I have replaced batteries on all sorts of UPS. That's the downside of UPS, you have to replace the batteries about every 3 years. It is not difficult and you don't have to buy replacement batteries from the UPS maker either. These SLA (sealed lead-acid) have a common physical size and use common connectors (either F1 or F2) with adapters easy to find.

I usually buy from:
    Prices vary and change often so shop around, and factor in shipping before deciding.

6. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Thank you for your replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds