? Re: Kerio..............

Discussion in 'Software' started by Strange1, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

as Kerio is discontinuing the free version of it's firewall, can those that now have it continue to use it indifinately? If so, will it serve the purpose or does it need to be upgraded periodically? Just wondered, as I have it on several computers now. In fact on all comps I support, except my main comp at home (PC-cillin Internet Security on that one).
    Thanks

Jack

2. mPK

mPK Private First Class

yea. you should be able to use it for as long as you like. its just there will be no product support or no new versions or any of that...

to anyone that doesn't have it: if you want any Kerio software, i suggest getting it before December 31st 2005. because on that day all downloads and all from Kerio will be removed.

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

thank mPK..............What about downloading the newest on CD for use on subsequent comps. Do firewalls need updating to keep up with the cyber world?
    I mean will the current Kerio FW be as effective as it is in, say, 2 or 3 yrs from now. Thanks

Jack

4. mPK

mPK Private First Class

im not too sure how effective it will be. logically thinkin i think it should be quite good. all they really do is monitor ports and stuff coming in and out... someone with more knowledge on that can post...

for the CD thing, are you wanting to download it, burn it and use it on multiple computers? i don't see a problem with that... although you will have to buy all the licences (or pirate...:confused:)

5. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks again mPK..........don't want to pirate. Was talking about the freee version. Maybe even that would be pirating. Guess will look for next best thing.

Jack

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

As it is free to download and install, there will be no "pirating" involved by burning it to CD and installing it on computers for home use! :)

7. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Keep in mind, if a flaw is found in the free version in the future, it won't be possible to patch it as the support for it will not be there. And you may never know there is a breach in it, as there will be no notifications from the company. I'm sure security companies like Secunia would inform of it, but fixing it won't be a possibility.

As far as firewall security goes, that's pretty risky.

8. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds