RE: Replacing My Memory With the Same Item Cause Windows XP Reactivation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, Jul 31, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello.

I have a specific question about replacing my memory on my desktop system and my Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 operating system.

I am going to replace my faulty memory for the same new memory. That is all I will need to do. Will this require my to reactivate my Windows XP operating system by chance?

Please reply.

Thanks!

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I'd say no, you won't be required to - you are making no real change in the hardware.

The way I understand Microsofts' "activation" scheme a certain number of "points" are assigned to various hardware items; CPUs get more points then hard-drives, hard-drives get more points then network cards, etc. After a certain amount of change, the "points" add up enough to trigger the operating system to demand re-activation.

I've upgraded my main computer over time with all kinds of hardware, and have never had this happen.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The short answer is no.
    When you replace several items at one time that will trigger a re-activate,also if you change the mother board it will trigger it.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

While I agree that it SHOULDN'T ask you to re-activate, I've heard plenty of stories of people having to re-activate Windows after a driver update (no hardware changes at all), so while it should remain activated, you might want to be prepared to re-activate it JUST in case!

RAM is a common upgrade/replacement, though, so I agree that the short answer should be no, you won't have to re-activate Windows.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree with the others, as Windows Activation, takes into account a 120 day period for major changes to hardware and RAM is one of those 10, but to be honest you would have to change a few items to trigger Activation again, and IIRC the count is looking for more than 7 changes from 10, so if most of your hardware is still the same you are ok.

However I have had to do re-activation many a time, and its just a quick phonecall, read off a code, they give you one back and off you go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds