Re: Unable To Access My Quarantined Files Following Software Security Trial End.

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, Jan 7, 2013.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have an important question to ask you. I ran a trial of a lesser known Internet security software program for 30 days. I vaguely recall seeing a few quarantined files encrypted in the program but did not investigate the specific quarantined files at that time. This was near the end of the trial period. They may be or not be actually infected, but I quickly recall seeing a few important files quarantined. Overall, I was unhappy with the manner of this Internet security software program operated. Now, after the trial ended, I was planning to remove this very known Internet security software program from my system. However before I did, I had to verify the Internet security software program's quarantined files.

Now, when I opened the program interface, I see the program is COMPLETELY blackened out and I cannot access ANY PART of this program's functions since it requires me to now purchase the program. I do not wish too. I was completely unaware that I would have difficulties accessing my quarantined files after the trial ended. Now, I contacted their technical support online and they told me that after the trial is complete, there is NO WAY for me to access my quarantined files and I am out of luck unless I purchased a subscription to reactivate the program. Now, I FIND THIS CRIMINAL!!! :mad

Even if they shutdown the program activation with active system protection following the trial period, they should at least still allow me access to my quarantine file functions and my past history functions!!! At this point, I would think that they could give me one 1-3 day re-activation period with their current installed Internet security software program so I can get immediate short term access to my quarantine files. If they refuse to assist me in accessing my files, I am thinking of a small claims court lawsuit against this known Internet security software program. For your information, I have not removed or uninstalled this lesser known Internet security software program to date from the system.

Questions: Your thoughts? What can I do? Please explain.

Please reply.

Thank you!

System: Windows 7 x64

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you create a Puppy Linux bootable CD you will be able to copy or delete anything as long as you know where in the filing system it is located. Puppy will not install itself on your hard disk, it just boots from CD and runs in RAM. Easiest rescue tool around.

What makes you think you may have a valid claim against the publisher - have you incurred any loss due to this?

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

First, what makes you think there are "important files" quarantined? If that were true, there would surely be noticeable changes in how your computer is operating. Are there?

Second, what ever made you think that when this program's trial period was over, you'd still be able to access any part of it?

Third, anybody can sue anybody else for anything. But IMO you have no case.

4. montecarlo1987

@ EarthlIng:

Hello. Nice to meet you. I am not sure how Puppy Linux can help me. I may be overlooking something, but I do not see it how your solution can help resolve my issue. Please elaborate if you wish.

@ md2lgyk & Earthling:

Hello too. I will provide you the name of the company since I have spoken to others and they needed to know too -- BitDefender Internet Security 2013. I believe it was some .EXE files that were targeted and I paid a good price for the programs. I also know there were some other programs and other files as well removed, yet I do not recall all of them. I did a rather quick observation. Remember, I know they were quarantined, but I did not act while the trial is active. I was going to verify and likely remove them from my quarantine AFTER the trial ended assuming I would have no issue accessing them. Also, I did not expect the program to completely shutdown access without any access to its other functions at all. I am sure these quarantined files were not affected since other reliable security software (ESET and Kaspersky) installed on other operating system drives never detected any issues with any of my files under full system scans. Not a good place to be in. A word to the wise from the school of hard knocks -- check/act on your quarantine files BEFORE the security software expires!!!

I have even spoken to Symantec about such an issue, they contend that they are required to provide me a 3 day extension of their trials if this happens and I request it. I see BitDefender is not too cooperative! I am sure they can extend it if they wanted too.

I recall years ago using security programs like Norton and Kaspersky and others that when the trial ended, I was still given access to areas of the security software program. Now, it appears they are clamping down on full shutdown of the program at trial end which they SHOULD NOT DO!!!
    I plan on going after BitDefender and being persistent. They better grant me a few day trail extension so I may get my files back I believe to me false-positives.

Reply if you wish.

Thanks!

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

A bootable Linux CD has unrestricted access to all the files on your disk, so if you want to see or recover the quarantined files you can do so. You would need first to identify where the program's quarantine folder is located which I would think you should be able to do in Windows.

6. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

On the odd chance that your problem seeing how Earthling's excellent advice is due to not knowing how to implement the solution, here is a tutorial on using Puppy Linux to recover your files:

http://www.sysprobs.com/puppy-linux-recover-windows-7-files-boot

This was written for a "can't boot" situation, but the information applies equally well to your situation.

7. montecarlo1987

@ Earthling & cipher:

Hello. I may sound ignorant, since I have never heard of Puppy Linux before let alone used it. From what I skimmed/read, I did not know from what I read to get it applied here. Thanks for the simple rationale and the tutorial guide.
    However, to let you know, since I last responded; I have removed BitDefender and installed another security program. I needed protection and I was required to remove BitDefender from the system as a prerequisite to installation. I am sure the quarantine folder is gone now. I decided to take my own actions now since I did not see any resolutions and I need protection from a DIFFERENT program.

One question: Can Puppy Linux software open encrypted files as well?

I have learned something and I will apply it to other "applications" (BOTH meanings -- programs and processes or actions).

Thank you for your help!

8. cipher

Puppy Linux, or any other flavor used for this purpose, is not going to "open" the files, it will give you access to them so you may copy them to removable media and recover them. Files so saved will remain encrypted, and when placed back in a Windows environment will require whatever software/password that was originally used to access that data...

9. montecarlo1987

@ cipher:

Hello again. Thanks again for your continued help.

I see this program Puppy Linux can be a very useful program from the little I have read about it so far. I will definitely create a CD of it and keep it for future use. I may need it someday again.

Again, thank you ever so much!

10. cipher

Just remember to save the .iso file for Puppy to your hard drive and then use something like ImgBurn to burn the CD/DVD, this will automagically make it bootable...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds