RE: Windows 7 Installation, Another New Partition Auto Created "System Reserved"???

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, Sep 1, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a few questions to ask regarding partitions and Windows 7 during the Windows 7 installation process.

Earlier today I installed on a single hard drive (no other hard drives connected to my motherboard, just one hard drive) Windows 7 Professional.
    Now, during the install process this time, when I get to the window that states, "Where do you want to install Windows?" I have a much different listing of partitions that I have never had before when I installed Windows 7.

To note: When I install Windows 7, I use a COMPLETELY clean unallocated hard drive with no other partitions for systems or storage. I like to use New Simple Volumes to create my partitions. I let Windows 7 create the partition or volume for me during the installation process. So, for example: I have a 500 GB hard drive, I use 150 GB for Windows 7 and leave the rest unallocated space. This is rather simple method.

Now, THIS TIME, I see that in the listing for options of hard drive space when I am at that window "Where do you want to install Windows?", I create my 150 GB simple volume partition and then find out that now I have a partiton of 100 MB first listed (Disk 0 Partition 1) named "Partiton 1: System Reserved" (Type: "System") preceeding my created 150 GB "Partition 2" (Disk 0 Partition 2) (Type: "Primary"). Where did this come from? Why was it created? What does it do? I didn't see this last time I installed Windows 7???
    Of course, I still have the "Disk 0 Unallocated Space" of 319.3 GB which is correct.

Now, after installing Windows 7 and I go to the Disk Management window, for Disk 0 it shows "System Reserved" on the first partition and "100 MB NTFS" and "Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)" and for the second partition it shows "C:" "146.9 BG NTFS" "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)". And yes, the normal "319.28 GB" "Unallocated" space at the end.

Please help me with this issue regarding this new partition "Partition 1: System Reserved" that I have never seen before. Please tell me what it is and why I have it this time. What does it do? How does it work? Do I need it? It appears that this "System Reserved" partition cannot be deleted. The option is grayed-out.

Thank you!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The 100MB partition in Windows 7 is for the Bitlocker, Bootable tools to allow you to recover Windows etc, not worth deleting this partition as its a very worthwhile one to have.

Some old info from the beta teams blog HERE on this, the images may not show now.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Bitlocker encryption is only available on Ultimate and Enterprise versions of 7 and Vista but decryption can be done from 'lower' versions; I don't see why this partition is forced on W7 Professional.

I'm puzzled ...

4. DavidGP

Dont be puzzled as its one of the other options I gave as in the recovery tools, you can delete and re-allocate this partition but for 100mb, is that worth it, the recovery tools saved on HDD are worthwhile having.

Some users that use other partitioning tools before installing Win7 over allowing Win7 to partition the HDD, at times do not get this partition.

While Pro and other lower versions of Win7 dont have Bitlocker, they do have Anytime Upgrade that if you wish to purchase a Win7 Ult, Business or Enterprise licence, allows a quick update to these extra features, thus by adding the partition pre-emptively it gets around having to do a clean install, as Anytime Ugrade is very quick and painless.

5. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Okay, thanks for your replies.

Now, let me ask this... ...you have made mention that it serves or works with BitLocker, a feature on Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise -- I know that BitLocker is on Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise. Now, if I plan to remain with the Windows 7 Professional edition and not upgrade editions, what real use can this "System Reserved" partition do for me??? ANYTHING??? ..or is it just worthless for me??? I see in one reply wondering why it installed when I have one of the "lower" Windows 7 editions. If BitLocker capability is only available with Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise, then why did I get it when I do not have BitLocker? Why? Do they figure I would edition upgrade at some point to the next one (Ultimate) and it would be there already waiting for me in case I need it at that time??? Is it a sales ploy to get me to buy the next higher edition (a tease) by depositing it on my hard drive?

Again, keeping with my Windows 7 Professional which I am very happy, what use does this partition "System Reserved" serve me? How can I use it? ....or can I EVEN use it AT ALL??? Any information you can provide or any links for us "lesser" Windows 7 editions is kindly asked.

Please reply.

Thanks!

6. DavidGP

Hi

Let me also reitterate that it also serves as the bootup troubleshooter tools (to allow a crashed Widnows to reboot and have the tools to maybe fix the booting issue) location also, I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and it has a 200mb partition for this.

It is no SALES?????????????????? ploy as you have the choice or not if you wish to upgrade or not via Anythime Upgrade, it is just to cover all bases and is not only as I already mentioned NOT just a partition for bitlocker.

You can remove the partition of you wish, not going to say your Windows version may now boot ok as it may not, but if you want you can remove it and save woooo all of 100/200mb in HDD space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds