Read-Only Attribute Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by sach2, Apr 9, 2007.

1. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have a set of empty skinned folders that I often copy around to my various partitions to house particular types of files. I like the different colors for easy file-type recognition.

I keep them in a folder called "Folder Prototypes_All" on my F: drive. The folder "Folder Prototypes_All" is marked read-only and each of the skinned folders within is marked read-only.

Win Xp Pro (my OS) gives me a warning if I accidentally try to delete one of them but I want to disable moving them. Dragging and dropping between partitions copies rather than moves the files. My problem is when trying to drag and drop one of my read-only prototypes to a new location on the original F: drive. The prototype is simply moved rather than copied. I thought read-only meant read-only!?? I want XP to copy the read-only file to the new location even though it is on the same partition. Is this possible?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

2. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

You ever notice the sidebar in Windows Explorer? Click on a folder, then look in the sidebar under "File and Folder Tasks". There'll be a "Copy This Folder" button.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, Thank you for your reply!

I know I can command Windows to copy the folder rather than move it by using the sidebar. I would like to set attributes such that Windows always recognizes that it is a read-only file and can only copy it rather than move it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds