Real Player Download Causes System Freak-out

Discussion in 'Software' started by sixtiesmusic67, Aug 23, 2004.

1. sixtiesmusic67

sixtiesmusic67 Private E-2

Good evening everyone.

I tried to download the latest Real Player version and it freaks out the computer. If you want to play any video clip it starts for 2 seconds and not only does Real Player freeze but the entire computer.

All other items have always downloaded the first time with no trouble, from music editing software to Quick Time to any Windows updates.

What caused the freak-out please? What can be done since certain sites only use a specific company to let you hear/see content.

System is P4 3.06 1024 memory 250 gb hardrive, cable modem, system is defraged once per week and virus scan done daily.

Thank you for your time.

2. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Are you saying you can't download it, or are you saying that it's downloaded and installed, but it's not running?

You have plenty of RAM, so that's obviously not the problem. You may want to open Real Player, go to Tools, Preferences, and Playback Settings, which is under General. Check the box next to "Cache on-demand streams for faster seeking and smoother playback"

Also on that same page, make sure it buffers for at least 30 seconds under Other Options.

In fact, you may want to go through all the tools there and make sure you have your settings correct. Check you connection settings, disable automatic updates, etc. Let me know if any of this helps.

Eric

3. sixtiesmusic67

Hi:

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry I wasn't more clear. The Real Player 10 downloaded fine and showed install okay/had the icon on desk top,etc. The settings on the old version never had to be changed, from day 1 it worked every time.

Once I would play a clip in it, it freaked out and freezes everything.

It has to be something in my settings on the computer because I know of nobody else (I aksed friends/co-workers) that had any problem.

Every other download has never had a glitch but this one and somebody had a good idea to download Real Player Alternative but that wouldn't install I got error:
    Deletefile failed: code 5

The old version of Real Player works perfectly but the new one is freaking out.

I do all the right things such as constantly delete temp files, history, run spyware, run anti virus, defrag, and keep maybe 8 percent of the 250 gb space used.

The shame is that certain sites use 1 specific audio/video playback and don't let the consumer choose.

Any thoughts are welcome and have a great night!!

4. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Go ahead and look at your properties anyway, see what it says. It may very well be configured properly already, but you never know. I think the caching thing may be a solution. Let us know.

Eric

5. sixtiesmusic67

Hi again:

Thanks for your suggestion. Here is why I don't think the situation is with the settings of Real Player once it downloaded but with some setting on my computer that is freaked out by somehting unique in both Real Player and Real Player Alternative.

If the system can download anything on the first shot but Real Player freaks out and Real Alternative won't install I get
    Deletefile failed, code 5
    c:/windows/system 32/pncrt.dll, they have something contained in their download that is unlike anything else the computer has seen.

The best way to explain what my feeling is would be to use simple non computer terms. All the other audio editing/video editing downloads are automatic transmission. These 2 (The problem ones) are stick shift. There is a setting in Anti Virus and or Windows XP itself that has to be changed to let anything through that isn't a virus. The question is which settings and how.

Anything that you can think of is appreciated. Have a great day.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds