real story on life of cd-r and cd-rw media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asturnacle, Mar 14, 2006.

1. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

All;

Does anyone have the real scoop on the life before failure of cd-r and cd-rw disks?

asturnacle

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

HERE is some information.

Bear in mind that the technology hasn't been around for long enough, and that there are too many variable factors, to accurately predict a shelf life.

3. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

Insomniac
    thanks for the link and info.
    the short of it is the cd-r and cd-rw are not as bullet proof as they are bragged up to be.
    the first time I read about failure was a guy who had put all his audio tape items on cd and with in 7 years the cd started crashing. His tape collection on tape had made it for over 15 years, as I remeber the disk problem was not enough material on the top side of the cd.
    The National Institute of Standards and Technology tested cd's for storage.
    So I guess one needs to watch the temp of storage and make full copies from time to time keep your data.
    tnxs, again asturnacle@unionplus.net

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I had some that actually grew fungus on them that ate the coating away.

If they are stored correctly they should last a while.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds