Real VNC problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbmadiw, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I've just installed Real VNC so I can access my mom's computer to fix her problems. I'm having some trouble getting it going. Here's the situation:

Me
    Windows XP
    lone computer on dial-up connection in Ohio
    Windows Firewall Off
    Norton Firewall configured to permit Real VNC

Mom
    Windows XP
    one of four computers on a peer to peer network using a Linksys router
    DSL connection in Michigan
    Windows Firewall Off
    Norton Firewall configured to permit Real VNC
    Obtained IP from whatismyip.com
    Obtained network IP from ipconfig

I have her run VNC Server User Mode. I run VNC Viewer. I type in her IP. It attempts to connect, but then I get an error dialog box with "unable to connect to host: Connection timed out (10060)". I looked up this error on the Real VNC website and found several listings, and they relate to the firewall interfering. I have disabled the firewall on both, but still no luck.

Both of our ISPs say they do not filter this kind of traffic, so that shouldn't be what's stopping it.

I then looked on the Real VNC site again (www.realvnc.com) and found some information about port forwarding if one of the computers are on a LAN. I walked her through the steps clearly defined on the site to use a static IP and port forward. I then got this error "unable to resolve host by name (11004)" when trying to connect.

All of the Real VNC website documentation keeps saying the source of these errors usually is a wrong IP. I have verified hers a dozen times. I'm a little suspicious of the router being involved in the blockage, but just don't know what else to do.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. abri

abri MajorGeek

Did you try the built-in remote access you both have in your XP operating systems?
    abri

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Have Mom run IPconfig /all and wirte this all down..gateway and dns.

Then static in her ip to the PC you need to fix. Right click on My Network Places select Properities.
    Right click on Local Area Connection select properities.
    Scroll down to TCP/IP & properities.
    Give an IP like 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway (guessing) 192.168.1.1..ect...

In the Linksys under Games & Applications add an application , call it "vnc" (eh?), start = 5700, end = 5900, IP = 192.168.1.100 & check enabled.

Are you using her Internet IP? Have her go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/
    & get that number for you to use in the viewer...
    then if all the firewalls are set correctly you'll connect.

At least that is how mine works.
    * this setup assumes that she is running a "default" Linksys setup on the 192.168.1.0 network with DHCP.

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I'm having no luck with Real VNC. I've already done what foogoo said.

I followed their instructions on their support page by assigning a static ip and port forward on the router. The router flipped out causing no Internet connection, and I had to reset it.

I've talked to others that have said a lot of these types of programs have issues with the router. Anyone have experience with this?

5. lovenish00111

lovenish00111 Private E-2

i have also tried this at my friends pc to access my another pc and at first attempt i succeeded so its not difficult as it looks like and for solution read below.

at ur pc where u wanna view the remote desktop just enter the client ip address and dont add server address..................

thats all and make sure that the vnc server is running on ur pc to

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Old thread. Please make a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds