Realtek AC 97 audio driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vido Dasler, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Vido Dasler

Vido Dasler Private E-2

Greetings All,

I have been reading on the forum to get my problem solved, I've tried most of the things written down here.

The situation is as follows, I run my system on a Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, with realtek audio.
    In the device manager screen i have the for realtek users usual other devices yellow ? and yellow !
    In the section for audio, games etc I have the Realtek High Defenition Audio that indicates that it works correctly.

The strange twist is that on startup of the pc i have no sound, but when I plug and unplug my headphone and microphone a few times in the front panel and select them on the control panel from realtek eventually i do get sound.

What does this indicate in regard to problem solving ?

Help and thoughts are welcome to solve this problem.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

First off, you've titled your thread "Realtek AC 97 audio driver" but then later you state that you have "the Realtek High Defenition Audio that indicates that it works correctly". High-Def and AC'97 are two completely different audio codec standards and are not interchangeable. Also, since you do eventually get the audio to work, I'd say that the problem is not likely to be a software or driver problem. I think the repeated plugging/unplugging of headphones/microphones/speakers/etc has caused some damage to the audio circuitry and it will eventually fail completely. The easiest fix would be to disable the on-board audio in the BIOS and purchase a basic PCI sound card from your local PC store. Generic 5.1 sound cards are usually under $30, and sometimes as cheap as $15. You should be able to get a used sound card for even less than $15; the shop where I work sells used sound cards for $5-$10. They aren't anything fancy, but they do the job. Here's a list of 5.1 cards available from Newegg, you'll see that they are quite inexpensive overall: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000290057 1101108501&name=5.1
    And here's a link to a basic 7.1ch sound card at Newegg for only $10.99. I have personally used these exact same cards and they work great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829180004
    Good luck! :-D

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Delete all audio drivers and reinstall the HD ones, our boards are basically the same. How many times have you tried your 'fix' already? I would hold off on getting an add on card until you can figure things out.

4. sicari

sicari Private E-2

sounds like the plug in jack that "dlb" said
    Jump onto ebay, i have found some pretty cheap PCI cards on there
    Watch out for the scammers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds