Realtek AC'97 Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by paladin6983, May 4, 2011.

1. paladin6983

paladin6983 Private E-2

Yes, i recently cleaned up a computer of mine and got it ready for someone else. Put all their info on the computer and then it popped up that the Realtek AC'97 hardware was found and needed to install. I go to install it, it asks for a disc, which I do not have. Then when i try to install it from any website, it has me download WDM_A406 file. I download this file and go to install it, multiple windows pop up here and there, then at about 40-45% through the status bar, all of a sudden the computer restarts. Also a compatibility window pops up every now and then, not every time, that i try to install this. There is no driver on the computer, it must have somehow gotten deleted when i cleaned the computer up for new use. And I cant seem to find any website that I can get the driver to fully install. I need your help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

Its the likely case as you cleaner the PC and how did you clean it up (if an application then what one did you use) that some drivers are now missing, Device Manager if any yellow ! marks are listed is a tell tale sign.

If you are running Windows Vista or Win7 then follow the below to get the same type of information.

Its very likely you need the exact drivers from the OEM or Motherboard maker and the main one to start with is the Chipset, but will need to know Windows version and Service Pack as other variables come into play as in if XP and SP2 then you need the Windows UAA HD audio patch to be installed before the audio driver, plus some other things.

3. paladin6983

paladin6983 Private E-2

Here is the attachment requested. What will i do next. Thank you for your time and prompt responses. Wish i had been so prompt, but so many computers so many clients, so little time

Attached Files:

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the Service Pack that this WinXP is using (while the log mentions RTM it may not be as the Aida64 is a trial version and doesn't list all info)? if its not SP3 then you will need to install the UAA HD Audio driver from HERE before the Audio one, but if at SP3 then you don't as its built into the Service Pack.

But give this a whirl and see if it helps, but do it in the order written.

Install the Chipset HERE and reboot (crucial to reboot)
    Then install if not at SP3 the UAA HD driver listed earlier
    Then install the Audio driver HERE and reboot.

test audio and if not working then check in the Services list that the Windows Audio service is Started and its startup type is Automatic (also their is dependencies tab in Windows Audio service with a list of other services, do make sure each one of them is started and automatic).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds