Realtek Audio Code 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by rghw09, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

Needing help with my hp pavilion audio. It says we have a code 10 error. It has been upgraded from vista to windows 7 ultimate. Its a 32 bit operating system with amd processors. Model number is a6703w. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, rghw09, and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Have you tried installing this original driver or this updated driver (the update is in case you have a monitor connection via HDMI)?

Also, what flags are showing in Device Manager?

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

EDIT: I see that you are being answered in another thread - please don't post double threads about a problem so that confusion will not reign.

Christine BCW's direction in the other thread is more thought out than mine, so I advise following her path first.

4. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Cali, this is the thread that he was directed to start in this subsection... this tactic always produces confusion for new posters, I'm sure.

Your posting of the drivers is indeed the best response, and we'll see how RGHW responds from here.

I abhor HP Computers (and all other name-brand blechs that print an easy-to-find Model Number Only on their cases, but their Support Sites demand a precise sub-model ID, too). I hate to troll thru their support site, so thanks for helping with those drivers.

I was going to add, at some point, "When I can't find audio drivers that function, I'll get a $20 audio card, insert that and move on with the rest of my life..."

5. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

I've already tried to update the driver. That is when it gives me a yellow flag saying code 10 error. I've unistalled the update and rebooted the computer giving me the factory audio. It doesn't show any problems but I do not hear any sound.

6. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

ive reinstalled the original driver and I still get this problem under device manager which states:

The location is at 0. (internal high definition audio bus)

This device cannot start (code 10)

You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take effect.

I've already rebooted my computer to make the changes so I don't understand what to do here. I'm not very good at computers so, any help would be great. I really don't have money to be buying another sound card no matter how cheap they are.

7. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

Okay this is the second time I've uninstalled and rebooted the computer for the changes to take effect. I keep trying to install the audio and it keeps stating that it failed to install. So i was confused before. I guess it wont install the realtek driver for some reason, even though it shows this driver in device manager.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

»HP Pavilion a6703w Desktop PC
    Serial Number: CNX8490T02
    Product Number: FQ596AA
    that is what i got when i scanned my computer.

10. plodr

and it provided no drivers? If not, then it doesn't seem to think you are missing anything.

11. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

no it didn't provide any drivers. still same problem. failed to install the original driver. It shows realtek audio in device manager but the sound icon says no audio device installed. Still showing code 10 in device manager. I don't know what to do anymore. I even went to the manufactures site and tried to download from there. still same problem.

12. plodr

Looking here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01625435
    it says
    If you are using the onboard sound chip and it is not producing sound, you can install a sound card.

13. rghw09

rghw09 Private E-2

thanks. thats what i was going to do anyway. I guess its going to have to wait til i get paid. is there any specific sound card that is compatible or can i have any sound card for my system?

14. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

I haven't shopped (looking at NewEgg) for a sound-card in a while, and was surprised by the low-price selections. The $20 range might match or exceed your motherboard's built-in system abilities.

There are USBs in the sub-$10 range (I've never tried those, by the way). The PCI cards have a few $7-12 entries, and PCI-E cards appear to start about $14.

You'll need to determine what card-slots are available on your motherboard.

And if I was considering a sub-$20 range, then I'd also try to buy locally so if I had problems or difficulties, an easy and quick replacement or alternative choice would be a quick drive away.

If I was considering the $50+ range, I'd also want some high-end speakers and neighbors who wouldn't mind me rattling the walls.

ON A SIDE NOTE...

Have you checked your BIOS SETUP to see if the Audio System is "ENABLED"? (That's just an idle thought... I just wonder if it was accidentally turned off in the BIOS.)

15. plodr

rghw09, start a new thread in hardware, since you now have a hardware problem.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Post the computer brand and exact model, mention that you think the sound chip might have died and wish to install a sound card. The geeks that look over hardware posts will know what slots are available and point you to some cards that will fit the desktop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds