Realtek HD - Bad quality sound and killing FPS.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakuryu, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Bakuryu

Bakuryu Private E-2

Hello, I'm having a really annoying problem, I've searched everywhere and tried many things, and have come to the point where I need some extra help from people that know more about this stuff.

Ok, so, the problem:
    Sound is really bad, it's like a buzzing sound that happens really often, and every time the sound gets like that my FPS in games drops a lot, which makes it more annoying, for example, right now I'm playing Prototype and it works fine when I disable Realtek HD from the device manager, but when its enabled the sounds are all really bad, and the voices are just terrible, watching cut-scenes is a pain, voices are really distorted.
    I have, of course, updated the drivers, got them from the official site.

Its not just games, mp3s are buzzing too, and everything basically, it buzzes more on some sounds than others.

Any ideas?

P.S: Sorry if this belongs to the "drivers" section, I wasn't sure, and it seemed to me that this was a better place.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you mute the speakers do you still get the buzzing?

3. Bakuryu

Bakuryu Private E-2

No, I don't.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Next, borrow another set of speakers from a friend to be sure it isn't a problem with your speakers.

5. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Try upgrading your codecs/drivers from Realtek:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Select the one you want, based on the version of windows you are using. This may help. However, it is unlikely, since the noise you are referring to sounds like some sort of static interference from the card itself. If it's onboard audio and came with the motherboard, try disabling it and getting a sound card you can add to a PCI slot. If it's already external, then try switching to internal. You could also be experiencing issues with the graphics card, as well, since you are losing frame rates. And, finally, the PSU could be going bad, as buzzing from the audio card and loss of frame rates could mean that, combined, these devices are using up all the power your PSU, or power supply unit, can provide. Swap that out, too. It's always good to have working backup cards to test these things, but, if all else fails, use a friends. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds