Realtek High Definition Audio Driver reinstall failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lissagriffin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Lissagriffin

Lissagriffin Private E-2

I uninstalled my Realtek High Definition Audio Driver in order to reinstall an updated version. (This was to see if it would solve a problem I was having installing a Logitech webcam - which might be the subject of another thread, if I can first sort this one out.)

The uninstalled version was 1.53. I downloaded version 2.40 as the update.

All attempts to install the new version have failed. Likewise when I tried to reinstall the original, that failed too. So I am now without an operational soundcard.

I run Windows xp (SP3). The motherboard disk (containing the original Realtek drivers) is Gigabyte Intel 945 S-Series Ver 1.14.

Not sure what else is relevant information. Can anyone help?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In device manager do you have any yellow ! marks next to any devices, if so what?

What I would try is to uninstall (if installed) any audio driver you have been trying so far adn reboot, then download and install the Chipset driver from Gigabyte HERE then reboot then install this Audio driver HERE and reboot and test audio.

If that fails then you wil need to trick XP Sp3 into thinking its only SP2 and follow the below (courtesy of Muskesnipe) as it deals with the registry, if you dont feel confident in changing the figures below, then ask a PC minded friend.

3. Lissagriffin

Lissagriffin Private E-2

Brilliant! Many thanks! Got my sound back Now to get the webcam installed...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Lissagriffin

Glad all is now ok in the audio department, start a new thread for your webcam and give same info as Windows version and the full make and model of the webcam (know its a logitech but the model will help) and also any error messages you get when installing this etc and we will try and help you with this also.

5. Lissagriffin

Lissagriffin Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds