Realtek LAN driver installation failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by ScoobySnack, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
    OS: dual installation Win XP Pro 32-bit, Win 7 Pro 32-bit

Problem is occurring only in Win7.

I just installed the ASUS board into an existing build. OS's were already installed on the hdd prior to the hardware change. Problem occurred immediately after first boot.

Realtek RTL8111/8112 LAN driver fails to install properly from motherboard support DVD. Installshield wizard says install successful, but error message received from OS states "device driver software was not successfully installed". Clicking on this message opens a window that states "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Failed"

In Device Manager, under network adapters, on the 'general' tab under Device Status is the message "This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Downloading and installing the latest driver from the ASUS website,
    RTL8112L_V768202009_WIN7
    results in the same installation failure.

I've tried uninstalling the driver from Device Manager and then rebooting, upon which I get the "Windows is installing drivers" message, followed by the same "device driver software was not successfully installed" message I get from attempting to install from the support DVD.

I've contacted ASUS and their tech supprt is stumped, their only answer was to reinstall Win7. I was hoping the folks here could give me other options. A NIC is not an option as my unused PCI slots are too close to my video cards to use without blocking airflow. I'm out of ideas too besides reinstalling.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has time to mull this over.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Device Manager please name any items with a yellow ! mark?

I would not install from the motherboard CD as in some cases that driver and setup file are not compatible with current new Windows versions, install the Chipset HERE and reboot, then install the LAN for your motherboard HERE

3. ScoobySnack

Thank you for your reply Halo.

In device manager, under network adapters, there is a yellow exclamation next to Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

I did as you suggested, and installed the chipset from your link, rebooted, and then installed the driver again, with the same results as in my previous post. Additionally, after that I tried again to uninstall the drivers in device manager and reboot, to the same result. I also tried uninstalling the driver using the RTL8112L_V768202009_WIN7 file and rebooting, again to the same results.

For clarity, the window that appears each time after the windows prompt "device driver software was not successfully installed" reads as follows:

Windows Script Host
    script: J:\Program Files\Realtek\NICDRV_8169\enable.vbs
    Line: 12
    Char: 1
    Error: Provider load failure
    Code: 80041013
    Source: swbemObjectEx

4. pamster

pamster Private E-2

This sounds like the same problem I'm having since I upgraded Win 7 Home to Win 7 Ultimate on my home machine that started out as a XP Home. All 64-bit. The driver worked fine on Win 7 Home, but failed after upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate. Got the same error when trying to install a new driver.

ScoobySnack - Did you ever get your answer, or get it to work?

5. DavidGP

Hi

As you have installed what I would gather is a different mobo into that PC and used the same HDD that was used on another mobo, then its quite possible that the drivers from the old mobo are causing the new ones to fail, dont know why it would just choose Win7 to fail, but I would be tempted to do a clean install of Win7 to see if that resolves this. (part reason is with a hardware change its possible that you have lost permissions to various folders in Win7 over XP, Win7 has more security measures in place)

My alternate would be to check the folder in the error message link has full user account permissions, check Services for Windows Management Instrumentation being Stopped adn not set to Automatic (set to Started and startup type to Automatic and reboot)

6. ScoobySnack

Halo, Pamster, thank you both for responding.

I never did figure out what the issue was, but a clean install of Win7 fixed it.

7. DavidGP

Hi Scooby

Cheers for posting the resolution, and knowing that a change of hardware can cause issues, that was the best option for you in a clean install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds