Realtek Pcie Gbe Family Controller,downloading Automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by Norby, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Norby

Norby Private First Class

Hi,
    Lately I keep getting this update automatically to download Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2. I already have Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter installed with now problems. Do I need the Family Controller and what is the difference between the two. I'm not on wi fi ,home PC Windows 7,,, and is there some way to stop the automatic update for the GBE Family Controller.

Thank you,

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You need to tell us what is trying to update it? Is it Windows Update and if so is it marked 'optional' or 'recommended' or 'important'?
    If it is not WU trying to update it, what program is doing that?
    Also say what the MAKE and MODEL of your system is.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You could change your WU settings to notify only rather than automatic. It's the setting I prefer.

4. Norby

I have looked all over PC and can not find what is trying to download Family Controlled... It's not in WU and my WU is set to manual. I check out all updates first before downloading.
    HP Pavilion
    HPE 127 c
    Windows 7 Home Premium

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Something is doing it.
    You need to look very carefully in your start ups, and in services.msc

6. Norby

I double check everything and cannot find the source. I did disable Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2,which has no effect on me getting on the internet. I have been using Intel-Gigabit-CT-Desktop-Adapter with no problems, for years now.

7. Earthling

Download MS Autoruns, extract the zip, run it and search for Realtek (Ctrl F). That should find it.

8. Norby

I just found,,,, Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology,,,, in services.msc and it is disabled.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I don't believe they have anything to do with each other. But this is meant to be left in its default settings which is manual.

10. Norby

RTL8167 Realtek 8136/8168/8169 NDIS 6.20 64-bit Driver Realtek c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt64win7.sys 6/10/2011 1:33 AM

This is what Autoruns found

11. Earthling

Disable it.

12. Norby

Hi,
    Thanks Earthling,if I do not get another automatic update for GBE Family Controller then it worked. I have received two within the last 10 days lets see what happens. And thank you all for your help.

13. Earthling

Should it cause any issues you can just re-enable it. There may be other Realtek entries in Autoruns, repeatedly pressing Ctrl F will find all of them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds