Realtek Sound Card isn't recognized after Formatting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kylethedarkn, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Private E-2

Okay so here's what happened. I got mad at the pathetic slowness of my 6 year old emachines computer and decided to reformat. Well awhile ago I stumbled upon something called Windows XP Black Edition which although filled with trojans XD uses much less memory than regular windows Xp. So I followed the instructions and it basically works like a reformat.

First I reformatted with the standard disk that came with my computer, and then I reformatted with the Windows Black Edition Cd. Everything worked fine there were a couple of pathetic trojans I wiped out with AVG and HJT, but the biggest problem is that nothing recognizes my Sound Card.

So the only thing I really know about it seeing as I can't see the exact brand due to the lack of recoginition is that it is a Realtek Sound Card, and its at least 6 years old.

The only things I've tried are making sure the Windows audio service is started and I went to the realtek website and tried to install the driver there. That brings me to another problem.

When I try to install the driver it gets half way through, opens a seprate pop up box that says installing driver and then restarts the computer without installing anything. I also checked to see if it was just an extraction, but there were no files from it in C:\ or My Documents.

Help would be appreciated. Also in case your wondering Windows XP Black Edition runs like normal XP so there isn't anything I can't do.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Did you install any chipset drivers?

A little more info is needed.

Post a make and model # if your PC is manufactured (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or your motherboard ID, if it is a build.
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

3. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Private E-2

Ah Sorry about the lack of info, i didn't know how much you needed. XD

Anyways the only driver I've installed is the realtek one from the site, which didn't even work.

My Computer is an Emachines T2862.

As you can probably see from the report I've modded quite a bit, however I haven't modified any hardware recently.

Attached Files:

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

5. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Private E-2

Chipset installed fine, and restarted the computer.

The link you gave me was to the same driver off the realtek website, but I downloaded it just to make sure. I ran it, and like before, it stops half way through installing the driver and restarts the computer.

Also a side note, there is no volume control in the system tray. I don't know if that's because it doesn't recognized the hardware or because of something else. So just in case it is important I'm telling ya.

6. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Private E-2

Ok Nevermind Fixed it on my own. I put in the recovery disc I had and checked to see what was on it and the chipset and driver install were sitting right in an audio folder. Everything works now. Thanks for your patience though. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds