Reasonable Free Text Editor

Discussion in 'Software' started by QuickSilver, Sep 28, 2005.

1. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

Hello all,

Just wondering whether any of you guys out there can recommend a reasonable free text editor for Windows for knocking out some Perl in - I just dislike Notepad for this kind of thing...
    Im sure there are loads but just wanted some recommendations...

Cheers

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

And now I know you can't be talking about Perl, Kodo... :)

Let me check that link out .. cheers

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

5. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

I haven't... most of the perl scripting I've done is on Unix based systems and I am normally content with vi.

I do have a perl interpreter on my windows box and notepad wasn't doing me any favours at all - just given the perlide that Kodo mentioned a go and it does everything I want and more ...

So cheers for that one Kodo - should make things a bit easier than with Notepad anyway...

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Hey, even Larry says it stinks.. I can't argue with the creator of the language. :)

7. SoloTraveller

SoloTraveller Private First Class

8. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

LOL - I didn't realise that he was quoted as saying that...

But I don't think thats to say it doesn't have its uses... I find it gives me a lot of power as a language, especially for text processing functions I sometimes require, without much overhead... It would take me 2-3 times longer to write the same functions in something like C, than it would for me to use Perl... I do like Shell scripting but I consider Perl to be the next level up - for tasks that have scaled just a little bit beyond the realm of usefulness for the likes of bash and korn...

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I can agree with the text processing features. It does have a lot of functions built in to do common tasks.

10. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I use psppad

http://www.pspad.com/

It has support for different language read outs color coding, and tabbed browsing.

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

GOOD CHRIST ALMIGHTY!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!

12. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Kodo I Love You God Help Me Where Have I Been

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds