Receiving XP Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by shano111, Jan 21, 2005.

1. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

I have tried and tried to use the Microsoft XP windows update. The website actually opens up to the downloads, but then kicks out in failure. The updates were actually installed on my laptop at one point, but during a spyware cleanp episode, I had to use the system restore option and those updates became uninstalled.

The update function actually stopped working shortly after that spyware episode. Any ideas on how to get the update function up and running again.

Should I just reinstall windows? If I do this, should/how to I create a backup disk so that all of my files aren't lost?

Thanks for the help.

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i have had the same problems working on other peeps computers. basically, i'd go to the microsoft website to check for updates, it would scan for updates, and when i chose "custom" or "express" installation, i would get an error. the only way i fixed it, was to set it for automatic updates, and eventually all was good again. go to my computer (not a shortcut), right click, select properties, select the automatic updates tab, and set it for automatic updates. you can set it at a time that is close to yours, and hopefully it will start to download the updates. sometimes it seemed to take a while? but, eventually it would go. g/l - sosaman

also, if you don't have windows explorer on your desktop (and you want it), you can go to your start menu, select windows explorer (right click), and select show on desktop (something like that).

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Without exact error messages, you cannot be precise about the troubleshooting steps. However, here are some things you can try.

start, run, type:

regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

Click ok. It should succeed.

The next step, go to Safe Mode in the event stopping the associated services don't allow you to rename the directories:

Rename:

C:\windows\system32\catroot2

-and-

C:\windows\softwaredistribution

Go back to normal mode and try WinUp again.

If it doesn't work, please post exact error messages :)

4. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

AD.

Typed the first command. regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

Received error message (Loadlibrary ("wuanueng.dll" failed) specified module could not be found.

Clicked on the error message box and the message closed. That's it.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Two possibilities there.

1: A typo.

2. The file is missing.

Search your hard disk for it.

6. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

Copied and pasted the exact text from your message into run command. Same error. (Load library error) Searched for the file and had no results.

Is this one single file? Or is there two files to look for - an exe and a dll file?

There was four files found under the regsvr32.exe search. Nothing under the wuaueng.dll search.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You using sp2?

8. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

Yep. Have had no problems with it up till a week or so ago. Which was during the time I was working on removing spyware. Didn't notice this problem until recently though.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

AD,

Got the file saved to C:\windows\system32\ folder. Unzipped it and then was prompted to confirm an overwrite of file wuaueng.dll. Selected OK. Process stops and generates an error stating that the process can't access the file because it is being used by another process. Can't create the file c:\windows\\system32\wuaueng.dll.

This is weird. It almost seems like the dll file is there, but isn't found when I search for it. Maybe I am interpreting this wrong.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm...

Replace it in safe mode, then reregister it.

12. shano111

shano111 Private E-2

Successful. Up and running - updates downloaded. Thanks for the help!!! :)

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yeah, I will second that " Thanks for the help!!! " thing.

Amazing, I learn something everytime I follow one of your post Adrynalyne. This board has some of the best.....very impressive. ;)

Steve

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ah shucks :)

Sometimes I just get lucky ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds