Recent Problems Launching Emails From Third Party App - Office 2016

Discussion in 'Software' started by shedlord, Feb 6, 2017.

1. shedlord

shedlord Private E-2

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help but we are experiencing an issue on some PCs which use Office 2016. We have a third party CRM system we use and as part of this emails are launched in response to certain actions. All our PCs run Windows 7 and most have earlier versions of Office on. These all behave correctly and launch the emails. The small number of Office 2016 PCs did behave correctly until some point around Autumn last year when suddenly clicking to launch email started failing on one, with the CRM app crashing. Soon afterwards, two other Office 2016 PCs were reported as having the same issue. We had a lot on as the company was moving premises so we asked users to work around it. We've only just come out the end of all the move work so I'm picking it up again.

The CRM system was not changed at all and sending launching emails from it continues to work fine on PCs running any other version of Office.

Getting help from the CRM creators is not an option, for reasons I won't go into, so we're trying to pin down what changed in Autumn last year that broke this in Office 2016, so we can possibly fix it.

The obvious one to test was if any Office updates around then may have done it. I followed the procedure to roll back the version of Office to different points in time, eventually taking it right back to the release in February 2016, but none of these rollbacks stopped the issue happening.

Does anyone know if rolling back to earlier versions of Office might not revert all changes made by the updates?

The error we get is...

Faulting application name: achiever.exe, version: 5.94.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Faulting module name: olmapi32.dll, version: 16.0.7668.6543, time stamp: 0x588e093d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000f60ee
    Faulting process id: 0x39c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2808b455c5a0b
    Faulting application path: C:\<PATH & NAME OF OUR CRM HERE>
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\olmapi32.dll
    Report Id: bb648227-ec7e-11e6-8954-3464a924e15b

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I see you have posted on several sites for this issue.
    Doing so makes it hard to get results as voluntary IT help, like at majorgeeks will take time to try to help, and if needed, will go to Microsoft for answers.
    In doing so your requests to other sites show up, and we may feel you have solved it.
    My feelings are that your CRM is causing the problem -

"
    Faulting application path: C:\<PATH & NAME OF OUR CRM HERE>
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\olmapi32.dll
    Report Id: bb648227-ec7e-11e6-8954-3464a924e15b "

3. shedlord

shedlord Private E-2

Hi baklogic,

Yes, posted in 3 places to maximise the informed people who may see it. I have done extensive Googling myself before posting anywhere.
    Doesn't explain why the error only showed up in Outlook 2016 and only then in Autumn last year. I'm trying to pick the brains of people who may know more than me over what Microsoft changed then and why rolling back doesn't correct it. I've also tried removing large batches of Windows Updates to see if that helped with no success. I do recall there was a Windows Update that restored UAC to max level around then but, unless it did more than that behind the scenes, I put that back as it was.

thanks

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds