recetly viewed in xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by fradleyp, Oct 25, 2006.

1. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

had to reistall windows xp and noticed a recently viewed list is there anyway to stop this list not just clear it?????

2. yank101

yank101 Private First Class

3. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

cheers you legend

4. yank101

cool ,,, it nice to get a thank you !

5. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

that just hides it though i want to sop it all together

6. yank101

ok try some thing in start up do it from msconfig ,,, do you know what that is? if not i give it in detail ,,,

7. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

yeah cheers mate remembered how to do it, just been ages since i last installed xp I forgot lol

8. yank101

ya its just a nudge that helps sometimes!!!

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I had the opposite problem, in an XP re-install, I lost My Recent Documents and wanted it back.:D

For anyone interested in how to add, or get rid of, the My Recent Documents that appears, or doesn't, ;) when you click on the Start button.

Check out my thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104703

Shortest way, (refer #2), courtesy of the Doug is:

10. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

sorry to bring it up again but that doesnt get rid of them, i just downloaded a file an when you get to selct where to download it, my recently files are there

any ideas?

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I am not sure I understand you.
    Have you deleted My Recent Documents from the Start route?
    Do you use a downloader assist program or just use what MS provides?.

I use Leechget, for example, and that allows you to nominate a Folder where downloads automatically go. I use C:\Downloads. Not original, but it works.

I just blocked Leechget from working and tried the MS way.

It does give you various options but My Recent Documents does not appear as an option for me.:confused:

Sorry, someone else please jump in, as I am stumped.

BTW:
    Leechget, only allows 1 download at a time, though.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1821

Doesn't solve your question, but gets around it. Bazza

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  12. theefool

theefool Geekified

Which of the following do you want?
    Removal of the "Recently viewed files"? Files will still be dumped within c:\documents and settings\username\recent, btw.

Or stopping it? Never tried this, but you could access the registry to modify the location of recent documents to nothing.

I.E.: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Within this, is a subkey for "recent" which should point to your current "recent" folder under your profile. You may be able to remove the data for "recent" (not the key).

I have NOT tried this.

Or you can use ccleaner after every computer use. :)

13. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

cheers last one worked thanx alot

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Which one worked?

15. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

Or stopping it? Never tried this, but you could access the registry to modify the location of recent documents to nothing.

I.E.: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Within this, is a subkey for "recent" which should point to your current "recent" folder under your profile. You may be able to remove the data for "recent" (not the key).

I have NOT tried this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds