reclaiming OS from pc with dead hd

Discussion in 'Software' started by pcrampage, Aug 24, 2008.

1. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

i have an old hp computer that was replaced because of age and a dead hard drive..this computer didn't have any reinstall disks for xp home. so how would i go about getting a recovery disk from the manufacturer? it has several serial numbers on the case and a product key, also if i used a bootleg copy of xp and enter my legal product key does that make it a licensed copy? ..or if i were to run the install disk from my new pc and entered the product key from my old pc will that then make it a licensed copy?....thank you for any information

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you have an XP Home product key sticker on the PC case, you can use a retail or full version XP Home disc to install Windows, just use the key on the sticker when the install prompts you for it. Do NOT use an XP disc from a different PC maker (such as Dell or a different model HP). Chances are, the OS has been modified for the PC it was designed to be installed on, and it may not be stable with different hardware.

3. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

thanks for the advise, however the only install disk i have is dell he he your frist example. but i soon replaced everything on it i put it in a big atx case. with a gaming board and an 8800 gpu ect..it worked fine the only problem is that i had to call in to activate my key.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds