Reco Good Replacement mboard for HP Slimline Pavilion?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jan 14, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I have one of those HP Pavilions that had the flawed Nvidia core logic-based Asus mboard. Lots of shouting and finger-pointing between Nvidia/Dell/HP and others on that fiasco.
    Anyway, the mboard offed itself yesterday so trying to see if worth a rebuild.
    The box is actually pretty popular with light-gamers due to its size and appearance etc.

what micro-atx size board would you guys recommend?

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Hi there, could you supply a link or give the exact model of the HP pc?

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    I would have to disagree with this suggestion. The motherboard for the s3300f has a Mini-ITX form factor: 19.05 cm (7.5 inches) X 17.27 cm (6.8 inches ) not a micro ATX as shown at Newegg ( 9.25" x 6.69" ).

I only found one board that met the AM2/Mini-ITX spec. at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500021

But, what is more interesting is that although the spec on the HP motherboard lists it as a Mini-ITX, the size is not a standard Mini-ITX. Mini-ITX is 170mm x 170mm or 6.7" x 6.7". the above link says the motherboard is 7.5 inches x 6.8 inches.

6. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Should I be able to pull the processor assembly and plug/play in that mboard?
    looks to be so.....

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Second mistake i've made today, i better stop before i damage something! I googled the board and found it to micro-atx from 3 different retailers. But you are right and that board you suggested is a much better suggestion.

It doesn't matter about the exact sizes of the boards, only the screw locations, any itx board has the same screw locations as any other.

It might be worth the op measuring that it wont obstruct anything just incase though.

8. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I just measured it: the stocker is 170x190 or VERY close thereto... i got a good bead on it.

Would the stocker power supply support that Zotac?

9. tgell

It should but I would defer to Burrell for his opinion. I noticed on the specs for the Zotac that it has a 24 pin power plug but the image I believe shows a 20 pin power plug but I may be mistaken. I noticed that the PSU is only 160 watts which does not seem like too much.

Edit: I noticed that the Zotac has an additional video plug so you may have to modify the motherboard faceplate. It also does not have the PCI slots that the hp does.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

The original has a 24-pin and the new one has a 20 pin, that is no problem as you can just put it in so that the extra 4 just hang of the side. If in the rare case it doesn't and something obstructs it you can get adapter cables that can do the job for you, or you can get some tools out and cut it off. :D

is it just me or does the original not have a 4-pin power connector for the cpu?

OP can you check what cables your psu has and see if it has a 4-pin power connector, similar style to the motherboard one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  11. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

will do when I can wrestle with it. The position of the connector is such that I must completely remove the processor to get a good grip on the main power connector. sheeeeesh.
    I attach a couple of images.

my experience with my teeny "lab mule" - an AOpen XCcube, has been instructive in terms of smallish power supplies. I've never crunched it, though with what I put it through one would think it would have winked out.

Attached Files:

12. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

from that picture it looks like it doesn't have a 4-pin power, so it looks like you may have to buy a new power supply as well as the new motherboard to get it to work!

That's not so easy though as the power supply from that machine could be a custom size.

I'm not really sure to be honest what to do next.

13. tgell

I would also like to add that you have a card in the PCI slot which the Zotac does not have. What ever it is, you will not be able to install it in the new motherboard.

@Burrell,
    I think he could use an adapter that goes from a regular 12V molex plug into a 4 pin 12 V cable if he has one available.

I would also advise that you download the manual and see if it meets your needs.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  14. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Good idea but i'm not sure he even has one of those.

15. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I think you're right about a P/S adapter.
    I see a couple of boards on Ebay that are from/for this chassis - different models of the Pavilion Slimline - Not all of them were flaky. Some were good boards and the ones later than this model of course had stronger performance. don't see one of those just yet but that is probably the best course - just sit and wait for the right one.

that little card is a modem. no big deal.

googling on that odd dimesion, it turns out there are things called 'mini-ITX' that are 170mm x 190mm. There are a lot more of the square ones, however

16. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

You may be better off playing it safe and getting another of the original boards of ebay or something similar.

17. Tronofthegoat

Tronofthegoat Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds