recommend air cooled pc case .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by littlejohn1959, Sep 28, 2006.

1. littlejohn1959

littlejohn1959 Private First Class

greetings . could someone please help me choose a new pc case .
    the present case i have is kinda small . id like a bigger one , more air flow .
    my rig does not run hot or anyything , i just think more airflow would only do things good . i may even mod the new case a bit , for fun .

i live in canada . budget,,$120.00

any suggestions , would be great .
    links would be even better .
    thanks for reading .
    cheers .

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Littlejohn

A few of the ones that first sprang to mind, kinda went way over your budget due to me working in UK pounds vs CAN $s so I looked at a few online Canadian retailers and this one is within your Budget, a fairly large case with good cooling, 4x 5.25" drive bays plus enough 3.5" bays to allow you to have spaces between any drives to keep them cool and allow best airflow from the front 2x120mm fan spaces.

Thermaltake Silver Soprano AXT Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side

edit: And this is one like above at same specs apart from no PSU as you already have a 550w PSU
    THERMALTAKE SOPRANO VB1000SWS MIDTOWER SILVER ATX

Full and detialed specs from Thermaltake

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  3. littlejohn1959

thanks for the reply .
    that seems like a half decent case . i really like the idea of the fans .
    the one in the side , for the gpu is a plus .
    the price is right . for sure .
    theres so many cases out there , and being new to all this , can be confuseing .
    i did read a review on the antec p180. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?type=3&id=64&page=1&desc=antec_p180b_atx_case

its a nice bit above my budget . its $170 here in canada . roughly . $200.00 taxes and all .
    in your opinion , is the antec , that much better , than the soprano???

im thinking ill only have to buy one case .
    i may as well get the right one to begin with??
    its only the matter of convinceing the wife to , " up the budget " , ha ha .
    if you can , pass you opinion on the antec .
    thanks for replieing . and thanks for the links . i have them placed in my NEW CASE folder .
    cheers .

4. DavidGP

Hi

Nice case the Antec, is it much better than the Thermaltake, well maybe a close call, but the areas that I dont really personally like on the Antec is having the PSU at the bottom, heat rises as we all know and unless their is superb airflow cooling the PSU I can see heat seepage into the motherboard area ( not convinced on that design feature as yet personally, unless someone here on Majorgeeks could give us a personal review ).

On the plus points the modular design of the drive bays is nice, but I think still the Thermaltakes tool-less drive bays have the edge.

As your thinking of possibly upping the anty, then concider these two Aluminium cases

COOLERMASTER TAC-T01 WAVE MASTER SILVER ALUMINUM

LIAN-LI Aluminum PC60

Both Aluminium and both have slide out motherboard trays for easy working on the board and inside ( you know how sometimes its a pain to get hard drives in the bays when a graphic or other PCI card is in the way, now you can slide the motherboard out of the way once a few power connectors are removed ) both also have great cooling.

Do look up a few reviews tho as I have a guess you are researching this topic very well.

I have a Coolermaster ATC 201 ( this is a review of it as its now discontinued ) but they still follow the same layout internally with 2x80mm cooling fans blowing onto the HD bays, which keep my 4 HDs coolish ( well @ about 26-30c generally depending on ambient room temps )

5. littlejohn1959

thanks much for the reply . and many thanks for the links .
    that makes ALOT of sense , im not sure on a power supply being mounted in the bottom either .. as you said , heat rises .. ill have to research that case some more .
    i like the idea of slide out motherboard trays .
    and ive learn through my reading on cases that aluminium is the awnser .
    im new to computers . ive made a few past mistakes , buying computer parts ,only to find out i basically wasted my money . thats why i posted here . i was pretty certian that someone , like yourself , would have more knowledge on this topic .
    again , thanks for the replies and links . with a little help , and alot of research , i should ,in the very near future , have a case that im satisfied with .
    thanks again .
    cheers .

6. littlejohn1959

7. CWO4Evil

CWO4Evil Private E-2

Broadway mid towers are nice and affordable. I'll use one for my budget build with OKIA 550 w psu. Google it's under $100 U.S.

8. DavidGP

Hi LittleJohn

No doubt I should have mentioned I did read that review before I posted my reply, which was what prompted my thoughts on the PSU position and the extra cost and the other possibles in Lian-Li and Coolermaster Aluminium cases if you were heading in that cost area,

However, I did do a bit more looking around at reviews on the Antec P180 and found this superb review, the pictures tell more of the story on the PSU bay and the middle fan ( optional ) that pulls air from the front lower drive bay, so with potentially a middle fan and dependent on PSU another two fans pushing air... I would suspect that airflow wouldnt allow much heat seepage upwards into the motherboard area. Just a pitty they didnt add an area infront of the lower drive bay for a 120mm fan at the front like the upper HD bay.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/antec_p180b/index.shtml ( great pictures of all the case parts )

I would though check with the retailer on what fans come as standard as in the review above the front and middle fans are not standard, only optional.... but fans are not too expensive these days, but will add to your outlay, unless you have 2 spare 120mm fans.

Also reading it seems a great idea to me having the lower drive bay infront of the PSU as I would pop my HDs in their and leave as the review above mentions the upper middle drive bay as a duct with a 120mm fan at the very front of it can supply air freely to the graphics card area ( they added another 120mm fan to the front of that bay to blast air at the GFX card area, maybe overkill if your temps dont warrant it )

Access to the drive bays via the pull rings is a great idea.

I have warmed to this case on reading the reviews, I do still like aluminium cases in the Coolermaster range tho, but the Antec offers some serious potential for various ways to mod your cooling.

Hope my rambling has helped a little and have a great weekend :)

9. littlejohn1959

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/wavemaster/tact0.htm

thanks for the replies again .
    heres a review on the coolermaster .
    the review on the antec is far better . but do i listen to reviews??
    can i trust reviews??
    to be honest , i do like the antec . i like FANS . lots of fans . i am not planning on going to water cooling in the near future . ha ha . that will take a few more years learning .
    i have just a couple of more question .
    between those 2 cases , and after reading the reviews ,
    which case would YOU choose??
    am i throwing away my money?

my present case is kinda cramped . 16 inches high ,16 inches deep , and 8 inches wide . kinda small , agree???

i think if it was more open , everything would be better . cooler im hopeing .

and as i stated in the beginning , i dont have any problems with heat . [see attachment]
    anyways , thanks for the help and imput here .
    have a great weekend .
    cheers .

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  10. littlejohn1959

heres my rig .
    kinda cramped .
    not much room to work . for sure .
    its as tidy as i can get it .
    its just to small im thinking .
    cheers .

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I have a feeling this ones a little loud :eek:

Attached Files:

12. littlejohn1959

ha ha .
    maybe a little OVERKILL .
    kinda neet though .
    cheers .

13. DavidGP

Yes.. reviews are just one persons opinion on a product, but you generally get a feel for how good something is if you read at least 3 reviews on the same product... the Antec gets good reviews

a few others I came across
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article254-page1.html
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1833214,00.asp?rsDis=Antec_P180_
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/01/25/antec_p180/1.html

and my google search string with other reviews
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=antec+p180+review&meta=

The Antec case is 5" taller than your current one and I'm guessing that the extra hight is the area where the PSU sits, so on that thinking the space in the upper half where the motherboard sits is equal to the whole of your case as it is now.

and to your questions.

Which case would I choose of the two? ~ as they are close in price I would most likely go for the Antec

Am I throwing my money away? ~ well like most things, you could buy a cheap case and not be happy with it, then have to buy another your more happy with, thus spending extra cash, this is a fairly expensive case, but if it does what it says on the tin, and has all of the potential cooling and various ways to install your drives, then its a good purchase.

I would try to hunt down some comments by users of this case first before buying as daily users have a better feel and comments on a case rather than the reviewers who have the case for a week/month.

Also as you mentioned water cooling, check up on some current watercooling kits to see how they would fit inside that case, kinda future research if you decide to go that way, you wouldnt want to decide to go H2O cooling and find out the case is not good for this type of cooling.

One of your HDs seems to be running hotter than I woudl like at 53c, I woudl like it to be nearer the 34c of the other drive, the Antec case and its HD bay and 120mm cooling fan in front of the bay shoudl help cool both drives to same temp ( similar layout in mine with 2x80mm fans infront of the HD bay cools my 3 drives in that area to around 28-30c )

14. littlejohn1959

thanks again for your imput and links .
    ive done alot of research on this case , i cant seem to find to much negitive about it .
    seems that routeing wires , might be a little tricky .
    i frequent another forum , there is people on that forum that own the case .
    they highly reccommend it . they are very pleased with the purchase .
    thats positive also .
    im pretty sure i will purchase this case .
    i should have it by next weekend , [pending on the arrival of my viewsonic monitor].

yes , my storage drive does run hotter than my raptor ..
    both drives are made by western digital .
    my present case has 2x 80 mm fans in front . blowing air accross both drives . i think they may be older style fans . no name brand , if you know what i mean .
    the storage drive is new .. less than 2 months old .
    could it be faulty???
    it seems funny to have such a temperature difference . allmost 20 degrees .
    the 74 gig raptor spins up to 10,000 .,,,,,,,,,,temp 32 cel.
    the 160 gig is 7200.,,,,,,,,,,,,temp 53 cel .
    you think it would be the faster drive , that would be hotter .

anyways , do you think its TOO HOT??

well again , i want to thank you for your imput here .
    thanks for all the links you sent . thanks for helping me review this case .
    it sure made purchaseing a new case , much easier .
    hats off to ya halo .
    maybe someday , ill have knowledge enough to help someone , the same way you helped me .
    cheers .

15. DavidGP

Hi

Great on the case looks like you have done all the research needed and are not sold on that case.

as for HD temps, while I would personally like that one lower its not still at max for HDs, without looking at the dats specs for WD drives, I'm sure the max temp they recomend is 70c, the drive may not be faulty but just located in the case at a point where some warm air is trapped, if you can move the drive to test, I would do so.

No probs. glad to have helped :)

16. littlejohn1959

thanks for the reply . yesterday , i took the side panel off for the whole day , the drive never went below 50 degrees .
    everything else dropped a few degrees . but the wd 160 gig stayed at 50 .
    i guess thats the norm . maybe with the antec case , it might do better .
    well , thanks again . for everything .
    cheers .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds