Recommendation for Complete Software backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by mongooseba, Sep 8, 2007.

1. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear All:

I need some advice as to how one would handle a complete "melt down" or a severe infection that normally requires a reinstallation? I have read from the forum that some individuals use Norton's Ghost program or the Acronis full back-up. Does anyone have any detailed instructions as to how I may use any of these products? Can you boot these back-up with an external hard drive? Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba:eek:

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If your motherboard supports booting to a USB device (some do, some don't) and if the back up is a complete, identical image of the orginal boot drive (usually drive C: ) then yes, it should be bootable. As for the step by step info, visit each publishers web site for more details... good luck!

hd2k

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I would recommend Paragon Drive Backup, or Acronis TrueImage. They're bpth faily easy to use and do exactly what you're looking for, which is called "imaging" the hard drive.

4. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

rolleyes Dear HopperDave2000,

Could you kindly recommend some sites? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

5. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear InYearstoCome,

Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

6. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Dear All:

Am I correct to assume that you have to check the BIOS to determine whether the motherboard supports the USB bootup? Can you always access the BIOS menu if you do have a complete software crash? Sorry to ask such specific questions ... I'm clueless in these matters.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What brand is the external hard drive? The reason I am asking is that Seagate and Maxtor both have an arrangement with Acronis to bundle a rebranded version of True Image as a free download on the website. It's a good deal if you have one of these drives. :)

Steve

8. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Thanks for the info. Will check out the complimentary back-up software.

Sincerely,
    Mongooseba

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds