Recommendations to move data from office to home

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zadig69, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

In the office there is an HP Media server to centralize backup for 3 computers.

There is over 800GB of stored information on this server.

My fear is that someone could break in and steal this little thing and that is worrisome because that houses years of work.

I want to configure a way to also backup this data to an external hard drive sitting at the house for added redundancy.

Is there a way to configure this that you know of to backup on schedule from the work server to my home computer?

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I'm not familiar with the HP, is it for the thin clients? I haven't gotten a chance to really look at those yet.

I have a setup that uses an external hard drive for network backups but the backup device is the one driving the schedule and the backup. Even remotely I can access and backup a shared drive. I've been using sonicwall global VPN client. Before I had a Watchguard firewall at the office and used a different connection method.

One of the main benefits -- it backs up new data only most of the time and a full backup as scheduled. If you try to backup 800MB of data every day you are going to be running that backup for hours every day (Or I just have slow internet). The appliance emails me every day to let me know the status of the backup, how much transferred, how long it took.

What you are trying to do is very smart. In case of flood, fire, tornado, collapsed roof, etc -- all data could be lost if not backed up off site.

3. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

The mediaserver, though it has more functionality, is used purely by me as a way to backup data from the existing computers and uses HPs version of RAID to provide redundancy. No apps etc are housed on this "server".

I figure I will bring an external hdd in and backup the data one time but I am hoping to, going forward, have a way to take new data automatically from the office HP server and copy it onto the external hdd that will be sitting at my house.

Currently at this office there is just a normal wireless router.

Any ideas how I can achieve the automated backup over the internet to my hdd at home?

Thanks!

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

How is the office accessing the internet? Is it static? Does it have a stand alone firewall or something built in from the ISP such as business-verision DSL router? If you can give me the model I can see if it will accept some sort of VPN request. If we can establish a VPN, the device will think it's on the same network.

I have a mybook that I'm going to configure next week. I also have an old Maxtor one touch that i never set up to one touch. :) I have some work to do in my office!

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I use Logmein Backup service for a similar situation.
    I've got a domain file server that is backed up to the boss's home computer as an offsite back up.
    It's a paid option but works for my needs. They do have a free trial so you could give it a whirl to see if it works for you.
    https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/backup/

6. Zadig69

Zadig69 Private E-2

I will try this. I think it will work.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds