Recommended apps for scanning for viruses, malware and such

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael1980, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Michael1980

Michael1980 Private First Class

hi everyone

i wanted to know if this list of apps to fight viruses and whatnot is good for my new computer. im using the following right now

Kaspersky Internet Security 2016
    CCleaner
    Malwarebytes Anti Malware
    Iobit Uninstaller
    Iobit Malware Fighter

if anyone knows any other app that i should get thats more effective please let me know. also im trying to find a good driver updater.

looking forward to hear from people. :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The programs you have are adequate. And do follow plodr's advice.
    DriverEasy is a great driver updater.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/drivereasy.html

However, it's always best to first look for drivers on the PC manufacturer's site. And only update if there's a problem.

4. Michael1980

hello!

thanks for the link and the advice. one of the reasons why i asked about the apps was that i was having trouble with my operating system or it could be my internal drives. not sure. here's why, when im in windows 8.1 i sometimes open a folder that has a lot of data on it like multimedia files and the blue circular icon takes a couple of seconds to load it. ive never had that problem with my past computer. i have most of those files on my internal drives. you would think with my computer stats it wouldn't lag with loading stuff like that. also if im listening to music when i open a folder it will cause the music to stop for a few seconds an then resume. i had a white sata 6gbs usb wire that came with the system and my cousin suggested i plug it into the port for the windows drive. it worked ok from what i saw for a few days but now the problem is back. hopefully when i go to see if there's a driver for sound that i need it will fix my problem?

i think im gonna not use the two iobit programs i mentioned i have. the reason is ive google and found out that some people claim that iobit ripped off malwarebytes by copying features or how the program runs. something like that. so basically alot of people dislike iobit for that and its programs.

i hope my internal drives are not going bad. i mean i don't hear clicks when using them but i do hear on opening any folder this weird short sound before it opens from my tower. i don't know how to describe the sound. btw the company that put out my computer is ibuypower pc. its a gaming system but i don't use it for that. i just wanted a pimped out pc with my budget. here's my stats if it can help

Windows 8.1
    AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
    3.50 GHz
    16.0 GB RAM
    64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

With those specs you shouldn't have to wait for a folder to open - even when listening to music. The sound coming from the tower case is not good. Only a failing hard drive or fan makes weird noises. You need to check the drive. Have a look at these drive utilities depending on whether you have a HDD or SSD.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/drive_utilities.html

GeekUninstaller has been getting good reviews, and it's free.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/geekuninstaller.html

If you want a professional (commercial) program, I use Ashampoo Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller Pro - Windows XP and 7.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ashampoo_uninstaller.html
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/index.html

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

As far as mechanical hard drives go, if one is even thought to be failing I would create a backup image or clone it to another drive ASAP.

Truth be told SSDs have come down in price markedly. My rigs run SSDs for the OS and applications, and I have larger mechanical drives for data storage. SSDs are quite reliable, and to give you an example the OCZ Vertex 3 I purchased years ago has almost 800 days of power on time, and has gone from being my desktop drive to being the boot drive in the ThinkPad I picked up to replace my very tired old one. According to HDSentinel, it's nearly perfect and has over 5TB of lifetime writes under it's belt. It's been quite the workhorse...

7. Michael1980

for some reason the original post i wrote disappeared. so here it is again with what i remember.

hey everyone

my bad for not getting in touch sooner. alot of things happened that kept me busy. anyway i intend resume where i left off in your suggestions. when i got my latest computer in August it came with SATA3 6GB/s cable. there was two ports for it on the motherboard. i have four internal drives and the os drive. so unfortunately i won't be able to take full advantage of the SATA3 6GB/s cable. to fresh your memory one of the problems i had was while using windows 8.1 it would lag opening stuff like folders. it would make a very faint sound in the tower like it was reading data. ive never encountered that.

luckily all my drives are western digital so i used their diagnostic check software and did quick test and full test and they all passed. the sound would lag too once in a while for like 5 seconds and then resume. one technician told me to see what happens by connecting the SATA 3 6GB/s to the OS drive and disconnecting the other drives. i brought over some data i had on the internal drive that i had lag problems with. so far no problems at all. im gonna reconnect the other internal drives and OS drive but not use the SATA3 cable at all. also the power supply that came with the computer wasn't powerful enough to take on the number of drives that i used and it had enough ports for. i have no clue why they made enough ports but still not have a powerful enough power supply. good thing tho i still had my powersupply from my previous computer which is 650W.

thanks in advance if anyone can help me. i have warranty but they're only responsible for what was originally in the tower.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds