Recommended upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Aug 1, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

One of my friends thinks his comp is too slow practically the same exact setup as me, which i think its fine, but he recently went to a lanparty and his comp was choppy running BF2, i had a rough time playing with all those people on his comp but my comp was good enough (so i could play without disturbance)... He says when he plays BF2 at home on a 32 player server its fine but at lanparties (64 players) his comp has the above symptoms, everything else runs fine on his comp... He's recently been banned from the internet by his parental units and asked me to help him out... heres his setup:

ASUS A7N8X-X
    512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM Corsair value select
    PNY Verto Geforce 5200 AGP 128MB
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton core
    ASUS CD-ROM with Quietrack technology
    Sony floppy drive
    Maxtor 40GB Harddrive
    400 watt PSU thermaltake i think

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

"AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with L2 512MB cache" [​IMG]

Anywho, you didn't state a budget. But 512mb more and a new video card are a must for running BF2.

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

I called him and he says he is willing to spend any where from $0-250 area for either the video card alone or both ram and vid card (i told him to get ram from zipzoomfly for about $48 and free ship) but the video card im stuck between something like the 6600 since its inexspensive and good. And i think the 9800 XT is like $250? Which seems like a ripoff since nVIDIA is coming out with better cards for less... Pretty much just recommend some video cards and i'll tell him about them, and of course once he isn't banned from the internet im gonna recommend him to this site :) Like we need anymore people :rolleyes: lol j/k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds