Recording video off web

Discussion in 'Software' started by athletic, Jul 31, 2004.

1. athletic

athletic Private E-2

I have been taking golf lessons lately and they put the recorded video online for me to watch, its really sweet. They only show three lessons worth, so as I take more lessons I will loose some.

They have it to where I cannot download them and they won't give me the files.

Does any one know of a program that I can get to record/rip these lessons off the website? They seem to be just mpegs.

2. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Can you post a link to the site? you might be able to right click and select save as...

3. athletic

athletic Private E-2

I tried that already...didn't work. :=(

4. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

When you view the video, it's got to be saved somewhere in a temp directory to be cached while it's streaming. I just streamed a video from a site, and the file turned up in my Temp Internet folder, in XP this is usually:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your user account\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

5. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

What verison of windows are you using? and what media player to you use to view the video?

6. athletic

athletic Private E-2

I have one computer using 2000 and one on XP.

I watch the video right from the site, so I am not sure what player uses it. But I am using WMP 8 on one, and 9 on the other.

7. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

You watched the video on both machines?

8. athletic

athletic Private E-2

Yeah, I can log on from anywhere.

9. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Try this:

1. On your XP machine, go to the website and watch the video all the way through.
    2. When it's done, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\your account name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
    3. Change the View Type to Details.
    4. Scroll down until you see the internet address associated with the movie you just watched.

There should be a few files there from that website, and the mpeg or wmv or whatever you viewed should be there, allowing you to take the file and save it somewhere else on your hard drive.

10. athletic

athletic Private E-2

Bam! worked. thanks for all your help. i appreciate it. this makes my night.

i found them in the temp file. i searched by the address, which turned out to be a http://db2. .... and not just the site name.

11. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Good deal man :D

12. Bradb71

Bradb71 Private E-2

Hey Icemam, nice fix mate....:)

I use firefox for web browsing and was wondering if its the same location.....???...when i look it seems to only have IE temp files ?.....>>>I'm new to firefox and could probably find it if i looked hard enuf but it would cut into my drinking and womanizing time so i thought i'd take the lazy option and see how i go ??

:cool:D

13. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hey brad, If you go to this site https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006 its a video downloader addon for firefox. Any time you visit a site streaming video (like youtube) you can use the add-on to download the video. I've been using it for a while now and it works great for me. It doesnt download ALL videos but gets a good majority of them.

Hope this helps :)

14. Bradb71

Bradb71 Private E-2

thanks dude, i'll give it a go. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds