Recover deleted Adobe In Design files

Discussion in 'Software' started by feyrieprincess, Nov 4, 2004.

1. feyrieprincess

feyrieprincess Private E-2

I ran Win Tuneup 2004 "Remove Junk Files" utility. I scanned my computer and clicked "delete all checked enteries".

The utility ran for approx. 60 seconds. It deleted 22 major file folders and all subfolders including "My Documents".

This folder contained all the files of a company project spanning 10 months time whose due date is in two weeks. I need to recover essential files created by program "Adobe In Design", and have had trouble finding a utility that supports this.

I will lose my job if I do not recover these files. Please please help.

Here are my stats and info..
    1. The most essential lost files were created in Adobe InDesign 2.0. Their file
    extension is .idd
    2. Files of secondary importance include .gif, .pdf, and .ptt files
    3. Files deleted by Win Tuneup 2004 "Remove Junk Files" utility with the option
    "Delete files directly, do not send to recycle bin" enabled.
    4. Computer is a Gateway Solo laptop mfg in about 1998
    5. OS is Windows 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222)
    6. Processor is Intel Pentium III chip codename "Coppermine". Frequency is 600 Mhz, L1 cache is 32 KB, L2 cache is 256 KB, Socket is u35
    7. BIOS Information-- mfg'd by Gateway 8/26/2000, Version 17.21, BIOS size is 512 KB
    8. Total Hardrive space is 11 gigs with 4 gigs used and 7 gigs free. Model is IBM-Dara-212
    9. File system is FAT32
    10. Total physical Memory is 159 MB. Total Windows Memory is 2048 MB. Used 63%--1866 MB Memory is free, 182 MB is used, Selection is 9298 KB

Other Information
    - I downloaded PC Inspector File Recovery. Rec error msg that .idd files can't be recovered. Don't see .idd files listed as a file type they support

Thanks!

2. feyrieprincess

I sent an email to them. This was a utility I downloaded as Shareware from MajorGeeks.com-- so I don't know how high of a priority I'll be for Wintuneup getting back to me.

3. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Though I don't have an answer, it is best to leave that computer alone (i.e., do not edit/create any files) until you do hear from the tech suppport. Any file changes you do afterwards may affect getting the deleted ones restored.

4. feyrieprincess

I wish I had that option. The magnitude of this makes it necessary for me to try to salvage what I can as quickly as possible or a lot of people will lose their livelihoods (including me). Forunately, I backed up the files to our company server about a month and a half ago. It will cause me to have to do a month and a half worth of work catchup in three days-- but that's better than ten months worth completely gone. I guess this is just another case of the Golden Rule: Thou shalt back up thy data obsessively.

5. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

That's great you did the backup. Were you using backup software or a conventional drag 'n drop explorer method? I'd suggest a good backup software that can do automatic backups (full and/or incremental). I've used this freeware, SyncBack, http://majorgeeks.com/download4386.html, in the past and has done a good job. It will allow you to create a MS Task Scheduler job; you would need to modify it to suit your needs on how often. There are other backup software at this site here, http://majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds