Recover deleted .pst file

Discussion in 'Software' started by rhodo, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhodo

rhodo Private E-2

I am running Outlook 2007 on Vista. Something happened (don't know what) with my Outlook. I have two profiles set up and all the e-mails for one are gone. I set up a new profile, but when I am getting these send/receive errors:

Task 'Personal Folders - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.'

Task '<snip> - Sending' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.'

I Googled the first error message and found information on running the Inbox Repair Tool. I found the SCANPST.EXE file, but it asked me to select the file I wanted to scan... well I have no idea where it is. I searched my computer for .pst files and found hundreds, but they all belonged to the Oulook profile that is still working - I couldn't find any files belonging to the profile that's messed up. SO...

I Googled how to recover deleted .pst files, tried a few recovery tools, but their scans found zero files. I downloaded the trial version of Remo Undelete and it found an Outlook.pst file that look like the right one - it was created on the date I created the profile and last accessed on the correct date. Of course I have to pay $49 (which I don't have) to activate the software and get my file back, and even then I don't know that the file won't be corrupt. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I don't want to make you feel any worse than you already do but are there NO backups of the .pst file at all?

EDIT - btw you should not post email addresses on public forums. Maybe one of the mods will delete it for you.

3. rhodo

rhodo Private E-2

I wish there were backups, but there aren't. Gotta get Carbonite ASAP!

4. rhodo

rhodo Private E-2

AND in my defense, I've only had this computer about a week.

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

PST files rarely delete themselves; most likely the file is still there - somewhere.

Do you have an Outlook system icon on your desktop? If so, right-click on it, and it should give you an option to see your Outlook data files and locations.

If you don't have an Outlook icon on your desktop, you may find the same information in the Control Panel's Mail applet.

P.S.1: If your file has indeed been deleted, try the free Recuva to recover the file.

P.S.2: when running SCANPST, it will offer you a backup before attempting any repairs. By all means say Yes to that option. (The backup will go to the same folder where the original PST file is located.)

6. rhodo

rhodo Private E-2

Thanks for the heads up about the e-mail address - I hadn't even noticed. Unfortunately, I can't PM a moderator because I don't have 50 posts.

7. rhodo

rhodo Private E-2

Thanks! This helped me find the file. I scanned and repaired it and was able to open it in Outlook. I'm still getting send/receive errors, but I'll start a new thread for it. Thanks again!

8. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

well i have a similar problem i downloaded my messeges to outlook 2010 i have a pst file there but messages wont restore i downloaded all my messages from gmail before i got a chance to set it up right im trying get like 1200 emails back and i dont have outlook icon on desktop wonder if it work for windows mail if i have that as default email client

9. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve - what do you want to restore, from where, to where? (And try to use some punctuation in your sentences; it's very difficult to understand without it.)

10. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

i wanna restore the deleted messages and they are not in the deleted messages folder. these are messages from outlook 2010. i tried several recover programs including recuva. thought said all this in original post. i still have a pst file. thought they would be there or somewhere on hard drive. sorry not use putting periods at end of sentences all the time i guess lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds