Recover Outlook 2003 mail & addresses

Discussion in 'Software' started by numinous11, Oct 11, 2006.

1. numinous11

numinous11 Private E-2

Dell Dimension 2400 running WinXP Pro got bit by the downloader.trojan virus.

The only way I could get Safe Mode to run, so I could run BLBETA.exe, was to reload the operating system from the CD. The process managed to save all critical files, but I'm not having success restoring Outlook 2003.

Firstly, it's not clear to me when I choose FILE > IMPORT from within Outlook, which action to perform (because none of the action descriptions refer specifically to Outlook, just OE and other programs). When I do choose "Import Internet Mail and Adresses" it says there aren't any files to import, which makes me suspect that the file may be corrupted.

In the research I've done, there are a number of off the shelf products that might recover file(s) handling the email messages, addresses, and other Outlook data. Does anyone here recommend any of these or have ideas of how to recover this data.

Thanks!

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Not sure whether you have formated or booted from CD, if you still have files on your system you can do a search for all .pst files. (*.PST) and if you find any make a note of the location and import that into outlook.

The pst files are normally in application data\microsoft\outlook under your user name.

3. numinous11

numinous11 Private E-2

Could find previously, but I just did. Since the new OS installation, I had to create a new user. The .PST file is in the Documents and Settings of another user and doesn't show up when I import. I'm encouraged that the file is big, indicating that it has all the old data, but need help porting it into Outlook - won't let me navigate to the folder I need to access.

4. numinous11

numinous11 Private E-2

I meant to say "Couldn't" find previously. I changed the search parameters to look in hidden folders and it showed up under the different user.

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

ok just copy the file to a nicer location and then try importing it.

6. numinous11

numinous11 Private E-2

Update: I've fixed this problem. I needed to change the folder settings to be able to "see" hidden folders and files. Then the import wizard in Outlook handled everything.

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Glad you got it sorted. Happy E-Mailing! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds