Recovered Files from CD-RW

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Recently had a CD-RW go bad and had to recover all the files from it. When Roxio Easy CD Creator recovers files, it renames them and changes the file type to REC File (Recovered File). It does maintain the original file size, which is very important for scan collecting.

I can rename the file simply enough, but cannot figure out how to change the file type back to .jpeg without also changing the file size, which would make the image an "un-official" scan since it would not match the scanners .csv file. Using ACDC I can view the file, change the name, but not the file type.

ACDC will convert a REC File to a .jpg but not without changing the file size. I haven't found a graphics program that you can Save As and maintain the original file size.

Normally, if you type .jpg following the file name, .jpg will be indicated as the file type in that column, but it does not seem to change if it is a REC File. Without changing the file type, I can't check the image with Picture Checker.

Does anyone know how to change the file type without changing the file size? Is there another way to get the recovered image back to the original format and size? I'd like to save all the images I recovered as a couple of the series had not yet been backed-up.

I am going to go out and by an external hard drive!! CD-RW's haven't worked well for me as a storage medium.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I'm Roxio's file recovery is remotely normal, which is possibly not true knowing Roxio. If renaming the file from "foo.rec" to "foo.jpg" doesn't make it a readable (valid) image file, then most likely the file is damaged. You've recovered all you're going to.

I would try a different data recovery program.

3. Anon-7f4ca145be

Just tried InfranView. It recognized the image as a .jpg with an incorrect file extension. Asked if I wanted to change it, said yes and it did but also changed the file size!

4. Anon-7f4ca145be

Does Nero have a file recovery system? Of all the software I have, I am least impressed eith Roxio Easy CD Creator.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Roxio has been sub-optimal ever since Easy CD 5. Nero is a much better program. Completely worth the money I paid. I don't know if Nero has data recovery or not (I'm on Red Hat ATM) but I don't remember it.

However, I would try a dedicated data recovery program, like this. There is a demo for that program, but I have no idea what it allows you to do. Most repair demos don't allow you to actually SAVE your data. :(

Is the image damaged or is it intact after it gets altered by the viewer? How much does the file size change? Maybe it is slack space (although I don't think CDs have slack space).

6. Anon-7f4ca145be

Tried it. We are half-way there. The Infranview batch converter works onthe file extension changing the .rec to .jpg OK. but it also changes the file size, some going bigger, some going smaller. I played with the quality slider and can get close, but at 1% increments, can't get it right on.
    What I need is a way to change the file extension without "processing" the image.

7. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

Dunno if it is *quite* the same thing, but i had a similar situation and i used ISObuster, which just recovered all my files from the damaged CDRW in their proper formats...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds