recovering a external hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by RWagar, Jan 29, 2012.

1. RWagar

RWagar Private E-2

i have an external harddrive that at one point i was using as such.... i then got a high def receiver for my tv and used the hard drive as a pvr... had to format it to run as a pvr.... now i no longer need it as a pvr drive and wanted to use it for my computer again... problem is my computer will not recognize it at all.... how do i fix it... would be a shame to have to throw it out

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. RWagar

RWagar Private E-2

is there anyway to do it without burning a disk? i don't have any disks to use

4. tgell

If you can boot from USB, download Partition Wizard Bootable iso from the previous post. Download YUMI. It is a portable application. Just unzip to the desktop in an admin account. Then Highlight Partition Wizard in the dropdown box. Check the box "Local Iso selected" and browse to the Partition Wizard iso file. Press the create button, making sure your flash drive letter is correct in step 1. This should create a bootable flash drive for Partition Wizard.

Note: The flash drive must be formatted to FAT32. Yumi lets you format the flash drive also. Make sure you do not have any data on the flash drive before format.

5. RWagar

RWagar Private E-2

still having issues with this.... not sure i understand it.... not very technical when it comes to this sort of stuff.... i need an easy way to do this

6. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

When you say it's not recognizing it, how are you connecting this drive? Are you putting it into a drivebay? You might want to use a USB drive adapter. Then I would go into Disk Management, detect the drive and then format it from there to NTFS.

7. RWagar

RWagar Private E-2

it is being connected via usb and i have tried the disk managment route... all the options to do anything with the drive are not highlighted... so i'm at a loss

8. tgell

9. RWagar

RWagar Private E-2

thanks that worked...

10. tgell

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback. Do you remember what the file system was on the external drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds