Recovering data...where to look for calender?

Discussion in 'Software' started by evilevets, Sep 7, 2004.

1. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I have a failed hard drive from a laptop that won't boot. I hooked it up to a USB enclosure and can read the drive intermittantly, long enough to retrieve some data.

Specifically, I need the Outlook Calender and Contacts. The inbox contents would be nice also.

Where do I look for this stuff?

It's Win XP with Office 2003.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

look for a file with the extension of .PST

the default is OUTLOOK.PST. That file houses all of your outlook data.

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Awesome, thanks Kodo!

One more question....does this .PST file represent all Outlook data? Calender, contacts, inbox, etc?

Also, how do I restore this onto the new HD? Do I just replace the .PST file with the old one that I recovered?

Thanks again, Steve.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it has everything.

Go to FILE, DATA FILE MANAGEMENT and add a folder (your pst file is what they're refering to) and then you can delete their default pst file. OR you can overwrite the default PST file that is present after you install outlook.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds