Recovering deleted emails help

Discussion in 'Software' started by TrocN98, Aug 31, 2009.

1. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

Hello all!

I have been googling this question with no avail.

I have gmail and I did not realize it "empties" my "trash" after 30 days which apparently permanently deletes the email and is not available to restore through gmail.

Is every email I looked at saved to my hard drive somewhere? I'm trying to find some important email from a while ago, probably over 6 months.

Is there a recovery program that can find these on my computer? Or something else?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly as if you used Gmail and the web access to view and delete emails then they are gone, as you will have no way to run a recovery tool on Googles Gmail servers I'm afraid.

I know this is cold comfort after the fact, but this is one of the reasons I setup POP3 access with my gmail account http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287 worth doing it yourself and choose an email client to use.

3. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

ok i looked on my account and it says pop has been enabled since like october 2008.

however ive never used outlook express which is on my computer? so if it says its been enabled does that mean all my emails since then are stored in outlook somewhere?

did i maybe configure it automatically when i set up my account? (i didnt know what any of it was)

how can i check? if i didn't configure it, does that mean even though it was enabled it wasnt saving the stuff to anywhere?

4. DavidGP

Hi

No, it maybe enabled in googles settings but if you didnt fully set it up as its a manual setup with Outlook Express, so if you open Outlook Express is there a Gmail account in the list of accounts? if not then they are not saved locally, plus you would have to have used Outlook Express to send/recieve and as you have never used Outlook Express then its highly unlikely.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

To avoid any repetition, and also to avoid the need to set up Outlook Express, you can Archive your messages in Gmail. They won't then get deleted after 30 days.

6. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

So I setup the outlook express and it found basically all of my current stuff.

Is there any software out there I can get to 'recover' info from my computer?

Websites/emails etc? I've heard that anything you look at on your computer is saved to your hard drive even if you deleted it.

Where is this saved? I don't care if I have to purchase this software, just let me know what it is and where to get it.

I also was reading about some kind of mail fetch thing for google that gets more of your emails? Idk.

What are some other email clients besides outlook express that the email backups could be on? Perhaps they are on my computer and I don't know it? They would obviously be gmail compatible.

7. Greywood1862

Greywood1862 Private First Class

I think the problem is going to be that the emails you are searching for were never actually on your computer. You read them online and moved them to the trash, also online. They were never actually saved to your computer. I think that unless gmail has some sort of recovery utility, they are just gone.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I never download email to my computer. You have not either if Outlook Express wasn't set up.

For the future, you need to archive things you want to keep or forward them to another email address that will not be emptied every 30 days.
    I have computer manuals stored at my gmail account. They've been there since August of last year.

9. SnowyStorm

SnowyStorm Private E-2

won't they be saved in a HMTL file to recover? Seems I read this somewhere

10. DavidGP

Sadly no not with Gmail, unless you can point to the article/guide you read? or was it that your read that Google Gears (still a beta app and should not be fully relied on, better with a POP client) can as its an offline app download all your gmail amongst other things to your PC for offline reviewing.

Gmail are stored server side and not on your PC, not even in temporary internet files, unless using Gears or POP emial client.

However unless implimented and dont think the original poster has done these things, once you empty the trash on Gmail (HTTP) then its gone for good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds