Recovering deleted folders and files

Discussion in 'Software' started by MichBALT, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MichBALT

MichBALT Private E-2

From a June 10, 2006, post from jarcher, "I just deleted a folder I didn't want to delete.

AbbySue advised, "If you are using XP with NTFS file system try Free Undelete. Worked great for me when I did similar! If that doesn't work check out similar programs in the Data Recovery Section of MajorGeeks."

Here's my story: I have a Windows XP Home, store build, AMD Duron Microprocessor, 256 SDRAM, Maxtor D540X-4K hard drive, 40 GB.

I downloaded and installed a program, TraxTime, in a folder containing some important files, rather than in default C:/Program Files/TraxTime. Then, without having properly backed up, I uninstalled the program, deleting some other important C:/Tempdocs files and folders with it.

I called Geek Squad, which suggested system restore. I tried a couple of time, but it was unable to complete. Then I stopped using the computer and begain calling for help.

This situtation is different from jarcher because here, the uninstall deleted folders and files, not me.

Any suggestions beyond those of AbbySue?

Thanks,

Michael
    MichBALT

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Welcome to MajorGeeks MichBALT!:)

Even though the uninstaller deleted the folder the process for trying to recover the files would be the same. Irregardless of how something is removed (uninstalled or deleted) unless you have defragmented your hard drive or used some other method to over-write the clusters that contained the data, chances are good you can recover some, if not all of the deleted files.

3. MichBALT

MichBALT Private E-2

Thank you, Abbby Sue.

My computer is in the capable hands of the owner of the shop that built it. He says that unless the unsulccessful attempts to restore wrote over some of the deleted files, he should be able to recover them.

Michael

MichBALT

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds