Recovering files off a USB Lexar Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Starkman, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Hello all,

I searched the site, but couldn't find anything directly about recovering files that have been deleted off of a USB Flash drive.

I've got a USB Lexar 256MB key chain drive. Any way to recover files off something like this? The drive is FAT.

Any way to recover files off something like this?

Thanks,

Starkman

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I can't help you directly, but a google search has revealed many possibilities, including paying $$$ to companies to do it for you.

Scroll down to about the 15th link and someone recovered theirs by using Linux.

Link is http://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Hope this at least gives you some alternative ideas.

A computer dealer advised me, quite strongly, not to save valuable files on USB memory sticks, but I have never had any problems with USB drives.

Main thing is to use the safely remove icon down by the time, bottom right.
    I didn't use to bother but now use it as a matter of course.
    PITA but it might help save a USB drive contents, in future. Bazza

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Deleting files from a USB key go to computers hard drive, so I would start there with a recovery program of some sort.
    Back in the day I used System Mechanic, though even these programs have their limits. Post back as I am curious on " free " recovery(seeing as though paid ones are limited ((or are they)?

5. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

I didnt see that last link....I should have known it was here somewhere...ty geeks!

6. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Thanks folks.

I had originally searched the formus, but I didn't see the "Data Recover" option on the right side bar on the main site. Silly me.

Anyway, I first tried LSoft Technologies' File Recovery. It did well, but since my file to be recovered was larger than the demo will allow to be recovered, it was of no use to me...unless I paid for it, of course.

Next, I tried PC File Recovery. It worked - a little awkward at first, but it found the file I needed to recover; however, it couldn't recover it. It could show the file contents in text but when I tried to save the file (it was in a subfolder), Word couldn't get it to come out right. A bunch of boxes, squigglies and all that kind of stuff. So I took "snap shots (Alt+Prt Scr) of each section of the document, put it into MS Paint and then went over the document later to get out of it what I needed.

I haven't tried anything else yet.

Thanks,

Starkman

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

PCFile recovery can be troublesome to get it to work ....if you click on the sections and then the individual files / save / then the option is to save to desktop as "no fat", "fat1", or "fat2" ....no fat usually doesn't work, fat1 does ...so would try saving with each option

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds