Recovering lost pics

Discussion in 'Software' started by ksdaddy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy Private E-2

I somehow managed to lose a couple dozen pics. I dug out an old flash drive and used Recuva to search for whatever was recoverable. I believe I found them. I ran Recuva and saved them to another flash drive. The files show that they are .jpe files and average 500-600K each, so I was confident I had 'saved' them. But when I try to open them I get nothing.

I tried MGI Photo Suite and a window pops up stating "This is not a valid photo file". I tried Paint, Windows Office Picture Manager... any photo program I could find and nothing. I either get an error message or just a little red X in the middle of the screen.

I even tried changing the file extension from jpe to jpg and bmp hoping that would make a difference.

Is there any way to open these photos? I'm confused as to how the properties can state that it's an image file and be 700K (or so) and yet I can't open it.

[​IMG]

Can anyone help?

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I would try doing the following.

I use Recuva, but I found something on this site that worked wonders for me.

EASEUS Partition Manager

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

I recently just finished doing what you are doing with someone who plugged in a Mac formatted external drive into a Windows machine and hit Format now, then pulled the drive when they realized what they did was wrong. this corrupted the boot sector, but i was able to get ALL files recovered, including pictures.

Give it a shot. I think they have a photo tool as well, but this should work as good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds