Recovering Temp Saves

Discussion in 'Software' started by vexy1987, Sep 6, 2006.

1. vexy1987

vexy1987 Private E-2

Hi, my brother just lost all the data from his memory stick, it appears that it got fried. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a programme that recovers temp files made by windows or microsoft word, I searched your site but couldnt see anything useful.

A response would be a life saver!
    VexY

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Any response? ;)

Have you tried any data recovery software on that memory stick?

Or is the memory stick unresponsive?

3. vexy1987

vexy1987 Private E-2

yeah, it doesnt show up in my computer when plugged into a USB drive, tried on several different computers.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which Windows version are you using and if XP, have you plugged in the USB drive, then gone to Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK and see if the USB drive is listed in the right menu of drives, it may say generic, if its their right click it and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths and choose an unused one.

Then see if it shows in My Computer.

alternative option is to use this PC Inspector file recovery

5. vexy1987

vexy1987 Private E-2

No luck with that, the usb disk is completely unresponsive, thanks for the reccomendation, I will try it later on. Turns out my brother was using Linux when writing up his work, so all hope is fading, ah well, it will be a lesson learnt for him to backup everything on his PC not just his USB stick.

Thanks for the reply's guys :)

6. DavidGP

Ah ok if he was using Linux at the time, its possible that downloading adn using a Live Linux CD ( which doesnt install on your Hard Drive but runs from the CD and RAM ) can help access those files.

Their are many various Live Linux versions but this is the first one I remembered and have used http://www.kubuntu.org/ when you have chosen your downlaod location the version you want is the Desktop CD. Once downloaded and burned to CD, set your PC in the Bios to 1st boot device to CDROM and pop the Kubuntu cd in the driver and boot.

7. vexy1987

vexy1987 Private E-2

Luckily my dad managed to have a look and sorted it out, not suree what he did exactly but thought I would let you know so you could sleep a little easier at night xD

thanks chaps

8. DavidGP

Great glad he has his docs back and thanks for the update ;)

If you find out what he did do please let us know?

9. vexy1987

vexy1987 Private E-2

well he didnt recover the files using a programme, turns out on of the pins in the stick was bent, not sure what he meant be that exactly but he just put it back in place :eek:

10. DavidGP

Ah ok, I know whats happened if a pin is bent then you loose the ability of the OS to find the hardware or transfer data ....and good catch by your dad :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds