Recovery Console Deafult Password?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cmpolis, Aug 5, 2006.

1. cmpolis

cmpolis Private E-2

Hello Everyone,
    I need to get into the recovery console for WindowsXP to fix some problems. The thread for that is - http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=826613#post826613 . Basically, I need to get into the recovery console, but I odnt know what the password is, I didnt even know I had one. Are there any deafult passwords or workarounds?

Thanks

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Tried leaving it blank and hitting Enter?

3. cmpolis

cmpolis Private E-2

I tried that, but it didnt work.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Would suggest a repair install, in that case .....boot from cd ...and instead of r for recovery ...choose install ....f8 to agreement ....then it will find your xp os and ask if you want to repair (R) or new install ...choose "R" and it will save all of your files and programs (but not updates) ....let it run and you should be able to get in after that.

5. cmpolis

cmpolis Private E-2

I ran the recovery thing, but now its in a windows installation when I boot. I have the XP Pro CD in, but I get an error: The file 'asms' on windows xp service pack 1 is needed. I click cancel, and it restarts back into the windows install. Is there a way to fix this or just quit the windows xp installation.

Thanks

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If you have to quit the installation and still need in the Recovery Console you might try the steps below. It should let you enter without prompting for a password. You seem to know what you are doing so be aware this involves editing the registry, so backup the registry or take other precautions you may be familiar with just in case.

Start | Run | then type Regedit and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1 (just double-click on it and a box will open so you can add/change the value).

Exit Registry and Reboot. You should now be able to enter the Recovery Console without a password.

Steve

7. cmpolis

cmpolis Private E-2

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, I cant get out of the installation, can anyone help me with that?

Thanks

8. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Your cd may be dirty which is why it can't copy the file from the cd. Try cleaning the windows cd and see if it can get through this part and then try running the repair like mentioned above.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

When you state: "The file 'asms' on windows xp service pack 1 is needed"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

I'd quote the fix here, but I'm sure the admins would scream at me. :) My screen resolution is 1600x1200, and I have to scroll down to see the whole thing. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds